Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What a good pivot looks like...and doesn't

Default What a good pivot looks like...and doesn't

Once apon a time in a land (that seems so) far away, there was a little community of teachers. They all had at least two things in common, and they all also could make nice looking swings.

They knew what a good pivot looked like and they knew what didn't.

Anyhoo, enough dreaming....

This is a young (11 yrs. old) student of mine.

He takes about 8-10 half-hour lessons a year, this year and last.

Last year he was basically a raw beginner. He doesn't practice much, and plays very little. He isn't big or strong. He does have a great attitude and is progressing nicely. He has great parents and as long as he sticks around, he'll be fine.

These are pictures from video that I took to answer a thread on "how to move the head" that I shot showing me teach this young man.

I haven't decided on whether I'll post it. But here are some stills.

The bottom picture that looks "pasted in," is what he does if I don't keep him "in line" —so to speak.

BTW, the good top of the backswing picture, is EXACTLY what:

"I think a Pivot Should Look Like."

In a perfect world, of course.

"All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Brian..."how do you keep him in line", to get the pivot shown here rather than the pasted in one?

Nice pivot, does not look forced or contrived as opposed to the pasted picture.

It's bad when you have "pivot envy" of an 11 yr. old.
    Moving the hands towards the target....is death.

Default Oh and btw,

These are stills from REAL swings. These are not posed.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

the pasted in pic is what my pivot looked like 3 days ago and I believe that is why I lunged my head past the ball on the downswing. Have been working on making it look more like the second pic and I can really feel the stretch in my back. at one point I had thought all this pivot talk was redundant, but Brian you know better then I and through the "redundant" discussions on pivot I finally understand what was wrong with my imperfect pivot. I can tell you this, on a practice back swing I now have close to a perfect pivot, thanks brian you have been a big help with your website and I believe this better pivot will lead to better swings.

a request, could you elaborate on what isssues his pasted pic would pose in a full swing?

Brian,

Interesting pics. I know I've strayed into the imperfect pivot position (a lot more frequently than I'd like). Would you say losing your upper spine angle (the 'curved' upper back look you see in may good golfers that aren't Adam Scott) is part of the problem with the 'bad' pivot?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella
    These are stills from REAL swings. These are not posed.
    So, what can you tell us about his shoulder turn?

DRW

Looks like a young Bobby Clampett

Default I still don't get it. So sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by shootin4par
    the pasted in pic is what my pivot looked like 3 days ago and I believe that is why I lunged my head past the ball on the downswing. Have been working on making it look more like the second pic and I can really feel the stretch in my back. at one point I had thought all this pivot talk was redundant, but Brian you know better then I and through the "redundant" discussions on pivot I finally understand what was wrong with my imperfect pivot. I can tell you this, on a practice back swing I now have close to a perfect pivot, thanks brian you have been a big help with your website and I believe this better pivot will lead to better swings.

a request, could you elaborate on what isssues his pasted pic would pose in a full swing?
    I don't understand.

Are you saying you ARE hitting it better with the "Manzella preferred" pivot?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella
    I don't understand.

Are you saying you ARE hitting it better with the "Manzella preferred" pivot?
    yes sir, the pivot you prefer is now the pivot I prefer. Three range sessions in a row and each one with the new "perfect pivot" is better then the one before. My head used to be dead still on the back swing, this feels much better as I am able to get BEHIND the ball. Still some issues but I am changing my WHOLE pivot. I am doing 100 or more practice "perfect pivot" backswings a day at home since sunday. Another thing I have noticed is some of the things you prefer dont work, for me anyways, unless the "perfect pivot" is part of the pattern. I could never really use extensor action before with good results, now I can. today I got a little confident and went high, low, high, low, something I am not normally very good at but did well today.. In a couple weeks I will hopefully start shaping it as well. I was not 100% sold on you before, I am now

Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information