Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrists

Default Wrists

I have a question about wrist…When you set up to a ball the average player has a pretty neutral wrist set up not real high hands (Steve Striker) or real low hands (Ryan Moore). If one sets up with real low hands (I think that’s also known has having more of a cocked wrist) when you return to impact is the club trying to align with the arms and uncock because of centrifugal force? Would this lead to more inconsistent contact? I would think you would have to either rotate more open at impact or you would hit a fat shot or maybe even come up out of it to prevent the fat shot, because the uncocking will make the arms/club longer because of the loss of angle. So my question is how should my wrists return at impact? Neutral or fully uncocked? It seems to me that this is an area that would lead to lots of inconsistency.

Someone alot smarter than me could explain in detail some of the things you are asking but in general the cent throwout tries to uncock the wrist and line up the shaft with the lead arm. But not everyone gets this throwout. If you have alot of force across the shaft and maybe a plane shift down you wouldnt be just rotationaly pulling and the club wouldnt get thrown out.

Can you post a swing? Like I said, someone like Brian could explain the hypotheticals but I like to see what you're doing.
    Kevin Shields

www.shieldsembroiderybydesign.com

This is an issue I think I am having with the woods and driver. With the irons I can maintain most of the wrist cock by concentrating on low hands through impact. With the woods and driver I feel like I have to stand up through impact to make solid contact.

Regarding this I have a question about shaft angle at impact. Looking down the line should it return to its original angle or can it be more vertical? I have seen pics of both being successful. I know that lines on the computer screen can lie but if that's all you have what do you look for at impact? Do players that use more body rotation have shaft angles closer to their original address? What are the concequences of a more vertical shaft at impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fossum View Post
    Regarding this I have a question about shaft angle at impact. Looking down the line should it return to its original angle or can it be more vertical? I have seen pics of both being successful. I know that lines on the computer screen can lie but if that's all you have what do you look for at impact? Do players that use more body rotation have shaft angles closer to their original address? What are the concequences of a more vertical shaft at impact?
    The shaft absolutely does NOT have to return to it's original angle. It comes close to returning for more elbow-planers and is steeper with guys like David Toms who use the TSP.

As far as body rotation (not quite sure what you mean by that, though), I have no idea and I'll defer to the Academy .

I would say that at least one "consequence" of a more vertical shaft at impact is that the player would have to deal with a guy like Hank Haney trying to make it lower at impact for no good reason .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fossum View Post
    The ones who truly return the shaft angle to address that come to mind are Faldo, Price, Singh, and Garcia. They all have LESS body rotation and are more closed coming down. This allows them to go more vertical with their hand path. A guy like Mahan who is super open with alot of #4 acc has a higher handle. But their are other exceptions for just steeper plane angle to get the handle higher as well.
    Kevin Shields

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Shields View Post
    The ones who truly return the shaft angle to address that come to mind are Faldo, Price, Singh, and Garcia. They all have LESS body rotation and are more closed coming down. This allows them to go more vertical with their hand path. A guy like Mahan who is super open with alot of #4 acc has a higher handle. But their are other exceptions for just steeper plane angle to get the handle higher as well.
    That's kinda what I was getting at Kevin. I assume you need to return the shaft to the same spot, shot after shot to be consistent. I was wondering if the uncocking of the wrists was the main variable but was not sure if you can control the uncocking with any type of consistency? My other question is if you are setting up on the elbow plane (which I think most people do) but then the shaft comes down on the tsp at impact, you have two choices, either lift up to fit the club in or open the shoulders more, is that correct?

If you took a pro and had him hit ten shots with 5 iron and checked his shaft angle at impact, how much would it vary by degrees per shot? Same question for scratch amateur and mid handicap amateur....Is this an imperative for consistent ball striking?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt F. View Post
    That's kinda what I was getting at Kevin. I assume you need to return the shaft to the same spot, shot after shot to be consistent. I was wondering if the uncocking of the wrists was the main variable but was not sure if you can control the uncocking with any type of consistency? My other question is if you are setting up on the elbow plane (which I think most people do) but then the shaft comes down on the tsp at impact, you have two choices, either lift up to fit the club in or open the shoulders more, is that correct?
    Sure you can. It would be a ton easier if we saw your swing. For me its all about using more #3 accumulator roll with right arm across the shaft and control the amount of throwout of the left arm and uncocking the wrist. BTW, returning the shaft to its original angle is not even close to an imperative.
    Kevin Shields

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Shields View Post
    . BTW, returning the shaft to its original angle is not even close to an imperative.
    I didn't mean original angle but the same angle on all swings, so with a 5 iron your impact angle is the same as your previous swings impact angle.

I will get another swing up eventually, a foot of snow and in the process of selling house, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information