Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    ZAP

Default Johnny Miller Fundamentals Video

I do not like it.

Am I missing something?
    The easiest way to slay a dragon is to run up to it and shove a spear in it's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious B.E.N. View Post
    is this what you watched? [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvTWgui4Tjo[/media]
    What was so bad? There was a lot of quality stuff in there! There's only a few things that I think Brian would have much of a problem with.

The good parts were:

-Some of the grip stuff
    -Actively pivoting on the backswing; right hip and right shoulder turning out of the way
    -Anti-hands only backswing
    -Left shoulder behind the ball at the top
    -Sequencing on the downswing
    -Lots of "umph" with the right side late in the downswing
    -Toss release (he worded it as "crossing over of the arms")
    -Open shoulders at impact

The guy isn't perfect and his swing analysis is sometimes off, but he still knows quite a lot. That was a pretty good presentation if you ask me.

ZAP

You watched the whole thing?
    The easiest way to slay a dragon is to run up to it and shove a spear in it's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeoffish View Post
    You watched the whole thing?
    The whole clip that Ben put up, yeah. Haven't seen the whole video. Does it get drastically worse or something?

ZAP

Quote Originally Posted by holeout View Post
    The whole clip that Ben put up, yeah. Haven't seen the whole video. Does it get drastically worse or something?
    Maybe it does. It is actually called "Secrets of Success" and it just did not do it for me. My friend who gave it to me said there was a lot of good stuff in there. And he is a bigger supporter of Brian than I am at times. Maybe I will try to watch it again with a more open mind and see what happens.

Next weekend if I have time.

I too thought that Johnny Miller's video was pretty good. That small clip anyway. I thought you were talking about a Dalton McCrary or Jack "POW" Hamm video. Johnny Miller knows a great deal about golf.

Default This is not bad.

+1 to a great video from Jonny Miller.

Definately ahead of it's time - I'm sure Brian would agree with most of Jonny's tips.

Stand out moment for me:

"All that matters is impact" (7:46, with some great slow mo overhead footage)

That's straight from the Manzella Handbook.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
    Winston Churchill

I would have to agree with holeout. there was some good stuff in there. if you havent read johnny's book "Golfing for Juniors" you definately should. Mostly because of the swing sequences in there of young jack nicklaus, bobby clampett, sam snead, Al Geiberger, and Johnny himself.

Johnny Miller doesn't know everything, who does, BUT the dude has won a few championships in his day, he deserves some respect. He's articulate, intelligent and has ALOT of experience. I like that he talks about hand conditions and impact for a slicer(check out slicer vid.) No talk of fixing the backswing..too much inside on the takeaway and loop it outside, thank god..good stuff from Johnny there. I dig on the videos. Thanks for bringing these to my attention.

Default ★ ★ ★

I give it 3-Stars ★ ★ ★

Very good video, nothing drastically wrong scientifically.

Very basic, obviously, but solid in many ways.

Good insight from a ball striker superior to almost everyone who ever played.

As a ball striker, I'd rank him even with Nicklaus, or slightly behind. Behind Hogan. Nelson, and Snead but just by a touch. Ahead of O'Grady, Moe Norman, and Knudsen.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information