Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Desperate in Toronto

Here's some video of my horrible range session yesterday. I am in desperate need of suggestions to blow up my swing. Please help. Many many horrible fat shots. Mostly weak pushed shots with a tiny cut. Apologies for the poor camera angle on the belly view. Also the camera was too close on the down the line view.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54wAl-fw0s[/media]

Last year was a bit better but still not the swing I want to have:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8C1HA2klw0[/media]

Your downswing pivot is WAY out of sequence. Your left arm is getting absolutely trapped high up against your chest to start the downswing.

Make practice swings without a club in your hands, where you swing very loose arms with your pivot. The feel you need is one where you're doing very little to assist your arms on the downswing to start, then snapping them through impact.

Swinging a folded up towel against a chair should help to get this feel as well.

Your right knee is locked at the top of the swing. A straightened right leg is good IMO at the top of the swing, but a *locked* right knee is problematic. Then on the downswing the leg more or less hyperextends and it causes you to throw the club over the top. The clubface looks good, so to me it's a path problem caused by more foot, knee and leg action.

3JACK

Quote Originally Posted by Richie3Jack View Post
    Your right knee is locked at the top of the swing. A straightened right leg is good IMO at the top of the swing, but a *locked* right knee is problematic. Then on the downswing the leg more or less hyperextends and it causes you to throw the club over the top. The clubface looks good, so to me it's a path problem caused by more foot, knee and leg action.

3JACK
    Upon second viewing, I think you may be on to something. Interested to hear Brian/Kevin/Jim chime in.

Definitely some good things going on there, golfie. Like Brad (holeout) said, your pivot appears to be the overriding issue.

I'd recommend Brian's back-and-forth drill -- where you make swings back and forth (literally once you reach finish position you swing "backwards" and try to strike the same place where the ball would sit) with the focus being on the pivot pulling the arms and club along.

I believe the drill is in the Soft Draw video (which I'd bet you have with some of the moves you've displayed), but don't quote me on that. The drill is typically used for getting more "toss" but it looks like you have plenty. The key is feeling like your arms are just "along for the ride."

Brian can likely make a good guess at the root cause of your pivot problems, but I'm not that good.

(my guess after re-watching ... you may need more "twist" on the downswing to keep the club face from opening, especially if weak cut shots/ slices/ pushes are a typical ball flight)
    Last edited by Ryan Smither; 04-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Default Not an Expert

After having looked at your video I noticed that just before impact you pull up out of the shot, actually you raise your head by as much as 4 inches. Have no idea on cause or effect but you consistently raise up at impact.

Brian could fix you in under 5 minutes!

Jimmy

Holy smokes - you are lanky flexible.

Your backswing is so over extended you would need a perfect pivot to handle that. Not going to happen, IMO.

You spend a good portion of the first part of your downswing just getting the arm unit back into a place where you can do something with it. Meanwhile, you basically have to stand up through impact to give yourself room.

Check your foot position at impact on the first video. Right toe and outside of the left heel. You could put a sandwich under your left foot at impact.

Your upper right arm and elbow are getting way behind you at the top. Feel like it's more in front your body.

You're actually not too far away. But your arm motion is on steriods. Tone it down.
    Last edited by savydan; 04-01-2010 at 01:40 PM.

To me, it looks like you tug on it with your body during the transition. You might need to stay in your turn more while you get to your left side.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingtolearn View Post
    To me, it looks like you tug on it with your body during the transition. You might need to stay in your turn more while you get to your left side.
    +1, but more specific tugs on it with the upper right shoulder. Get to the left and then concentrate on rotating your shoulders around your upper center(middle of the chest) while tilting a little.

Golfie,

I think the solution you need is in NSA video.
    There is so many good things in that video.

Matt

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information