Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default D-Plane: Pull Hook

Quick question on hitting a pull hook. I PM'd Jim and he said that a pull hook is from going inside-out with a closed face. OK, I understand that. But what is the ball flight when you go over the top a little, and hit the back of the ball with a closed face? For some reason it seems like it would be the same but I'm sure my gut is wrong. Thanks

Curtis

You're right. As long as the face is left of the true path.

Yeah for me, I was right. JK

So my question is how do I know which one I'm doing, more specifically when I'm on the course needing to make an adjustment. Try to look at my divot?

Yep.

Gotcha, thanks. I think now that I'm not swinging SO far right I have a tendency to come over the top just a tad. I lay a 2x4 down on the inside of the ball to monitor the inside-out swing. Now I might lay down another on the outside. I think that would give me a "straight path" to the ball correct? It would look something like this:

--------------
    ---------

I would also take into account ALL of your misses. One thing that I did when I first started learning D-Plane was to go thru a round of mine and try to guestimate what the face and path did on each shot. After going thru it all, you can see a pattern develop with your shots. My misses are usually a straight push, thin, over-push with a draw. That's an indicator to me that my path is consistently inside-to-out, but my face tends to change and the next step to improvement is to get the path closer to zero.

3JACK

Can't hurt. See how it works. Are your divots pretty thin/shallow now?

Quote Originally Posted by Richie3Jack View Post
    That's an indicator to me that my path is consistently inside-to-out, but my face tends to change and the next step to improvement is to get the path closer to zero.
    Same here. Now I just have a little more variation since I've been working on my path. I set up a "work station" in my living room (yes my wife loves it). I put Brian's towel plane board on the inside of the ball and a box on the outside. I'm hitting into an impact bag so I can work on path and impact alignments. So far I REALLY like it. Next step is to hit balls with the 2x4's, that's the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by savydan View Post
    Can't hurt. See how it works. Are your divots pretty thin/shallow now?
    They were very thin if any before. Now I'm taking a decent divot.

What you can start doing now is putting the board between your feet and the ball. You'd be surprised how much you can "cheat" by where you are putting the board now where you might still be under plane or too inside out and correct at the last second and come a bit above plane to hit the ball and not the board and the shot goes left.

Been meaning to explain this and more to ya but ya haven't called me I don't charge phone time haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information