Thread: Over Swinging

Default Over Swinging

I guess,the reason of having different position at the upswing; when we are swinging a driver, a driver will go further, and if we are swinging a pitching wedge, x24 ironsthe wedge will not go as high. My coach told me that it is a feeling, as well as how far you want to deliver the ball to.
    The driver swing higher, because of the driver is lighter and longer, and with the same amount of force swinging the club, it would generate more power, and more power affect our club position at the top.
    Now the question is:

If we are over swinging, and how do we stop it.
    To the best of my knowledge, over swinging is course by
    Mechanically

Reverse pivot
    Out of sync (disconnection) of our hands and body.

Now what would be the psychological factor to cure it?
    Personally, if I allow cocking my wrist a bit more (my rear elbow), I find that, it stop my over swinging. (easier to achieve)
    I was told to unwinding my body, before the club get to the top. But I find it very difficult to achieve. Because I have to think about to many items.
    Last edited by narcissus; 09-21-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dschultz6072 View Post
    lol

Narcissus, I'm not trying to be impolite, but I understood about half of your post. I don't know if it was just me, but try proofreading your posts before you put them up so that we can all understand what you are talking about. Maybe you are not a native English speaker?

Anyway I gather that you are talking about over-swinging. This is my personal opinion on the matter. If you have a bad concept of the forces you are supposed to be putting on the golf club, or have poor mechanics swinging hard will only result in poorer shots. On the other hand if you learn to properly release the club and can square the face well you can swing as hard as you'd like as long as you are still making good contact. It really is just a personal thing where you have to gauge how good your ball-striking is as you vary how hard you swing. Now this doesn't mean I condone swinging hard on every shot because we all know that golf requires finesse. But, if you want to hit that bomb, or are trying to reach that par 5 in two, I say go for it if and only if it doesn't destroy your directionality.

P.S. Sometimes when you swing hard, if you are missing the sweetspot you will actually hit it shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by narcissus View Post
    I was told to unwinding my body, before the club get to the top. But I find it very difficult to achieve. Because I have to think about to many items.
    Personally, I would throw this out the window. You shouldn't have to think about your pivot. It should be something that happens because of what you are trying to do with the club. Clubhead speed comes from the arms and hands not the body. What is it that Brian has shown?..... 90% of the energy created by the pivot powers the pivot meaning only 10% is transferred into clubhead speed.

Thread Information