Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 100
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Tiger on his technique

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ej20 View Post
    Tiger has a 2 way miss now with Foley.At least with Haney it was a one way miss to the right.Not really sure how the new ball flight laws have helped him.He also appears to be gouging divots the size of door mats.Does he have a faulty track man?

    To me he still hasn't overcome the problem with the driver.His swing looks fine but there are better looking swings that don't even make it on tour.His current swing is so far removed from his DNA swing that I wonder how much club face awareness it has taken away from him?If he bombs out in the majors this year,look out for another guru and swing change.
    As much as I want Tiger to dominate, again, I would like to see this happen, but only if it leads to a long time coming union of Tiger/Manzella!! How sweet that sounds! I can't put into words how exciting that would be!!! I believe Tiger would be better, imho..
    And the truth shall set you free.... free releasing...wow!

  2. #62
    Senior Member magicmarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Given the choice between 'knowing' the laws of ball flight or 'owning' the laws of ball flight and having no clue what was really going on... we'd take owning them all day right? If you own them then whatever you think you know would be the truth from your POV.

    And if you owned the ball flight, the way Tiger did, would you even want to find out that everything you thought you knew was scientifically incorrect? I think it would be too easy to say, well he would've done better if he knew more...because that means a lot of things he did 'know' would've been forced out.

    An incorrect concept, incorrectly carried out, can produce remarkable results.
    Last edited by magicmarker; 02-01-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Grammar
    I dream about life, so I'm living the dream.
    As a toddler he taught others to walk.
    He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,026

    Default

    Just saw Michelson's analysis of his sand wedge off the cart path...solid.

    Not golf related, but maybe some other insight to what level some pros are or were on. I played in a pretty competitive summer league in college and played a few teams with some ex/on the way out-major leaguers. This one particular game a left handed pitcher that went on to pitch for the Cubs was throwing for us and had a mid 90's tailing fastball and a nasty hard slider. The other team had a major league catcher at the end of his career who was trying to make a come back following an injury. This catcher was hitting 5th in their line up. The 1st 4 batters went 4 up/4 down, 3 of them struck out. The catcher comes up and gets the count to 3-2. Our pitcher throws his hard slider down and in(right handed hitter), that was normally un-hittable. The hitter hits a pea(the ball looked the size of a pea) about 4 feet over my head at shortstop that I barely had time to jump for. The ball hits the bottom of the left-center field fence and the catcher ends up with a double.

    Our pitcher is pissed and walking around wondering what the hell just happened. So our first baseman goes and talks to him, then our coach goes out to talk to him. So I went over to the ex-major leaguer and said "man, I'm glad I didn't get a glove on that one". He just chuckled. I then asked "how did you hit that pitch?" He quickly rattles off the pitch sequences of the previous 4 batters--about 16 pitches--and goes "I knew he was coming with the slider". I asked "even on 3-2, you were looking slider?" He gave me a look like I was an idiot because he just explained why he was looking slider and said "ya, he struck out 2 of the guys with the slider and he thought he could get me out with it."

    I didn't know what the hell to say because I was still reeling from him remembering the pitch sequences from the 4 batters before him. Hell, I couldn't remember the pitch sequence in my own last at bat.

    Not saying all the pros are that detailed, but I would suspect a lot are or just understand parts of the game better than most. Maybe just a little insight to what mental level some athletes are on in regards to their sport.
    Last edited by spktho; 03-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magicmarker View Post
    Given the choice between 'knowing' the laws of ball flight or 'owning' the laws of ball flight and having no clue what was really going on... we'd take owning them all day right? If you own them then whatever you think you know would be the truth from your POV.

    And if you owned the ball flight, the way Tiger did, would you even want to find out that everything you thought you though you knew was scientifically incorrect? I think it would be too easy to say, well he would've done better if he knew more...because that means a lot of things he did 'know' would've been forced out.

    An incorrect concept, incorrectly carried out, can produce remarkable results.
    So TrackMan is for mere mortals only?

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    There are problems no matter what way you go with a guy with TW's immense talent.

    Don't coach him - how does he solve his problems?

    Coach him - how do you avoid messing him up?

    Unsolvable problem really.

    If you look at many of the greats over the years (Nicklaus, Hogan, Nelson, Trevino, Palmer, Player, Watson, maybe even Miller) they were all blessed with a self confidence and an independence of thought and action which never left them. In contrast, Tiger is full of self doubt and always looking to others. Tiger has the right talent and the wrong personality for the longevity of these greats. IMHO Foley is burdened with same personality defect as Tiger - hence their rapport.

    Look at Miller today - he knows it all, no one comes close to his knowledge and ability, the guys out there are not even a pale imitation of his super-human self, etc etc. All in his own mind admittedly but HE BELIEVES IT. And, assuming you do actually have the talent, that is of critical importance in the crazy world of top level professional sport.

    The best Tiger can do is find himself a coach who has ZERO self doubt. Like BH for example. Know anyone else who fits the bill? JJ
    magicmarker likes this.
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

    The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Here's one for the stats lovers:

    Lee Trev is the ONLY guy ever to have won a major more than 6 years after his " second last" major win, ie a 6 year gap. On top of that NO ONE ever won more than one more. Oh Tiger, it ain't lookin good.

    The Major Championships - Multiple Major Champions
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

    The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dschultz6072 View Post
    I am sure Freddie knows exactly how he does it. But he just gives it as much thought as something like plugging in a toaster.
    All you can do is go by what they say. And Fred has basically said that he does not know much about his swing. I take him at his word.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spktho View Post
    Just saw Michelson's analysis of his sand wedge off the cart path...solid.

    Not golf related, but maybe some other insight to what level some pros are or were on. I played in a pretty competitive summer league in college and played a few teams with some ex/on the way out-major leaguers. This one particular game a left handed pitcher that went on to pitch for the Cubs was throwing for us and had a mid 90's tailing fastball and a nasty hard slider. The other team had a major league catcher at the end of his career who was trying to make a come back following an injury. This catcher was hitting 5th in their line up. The 1st 4 batters went 4 up/4 down, 3 of them struck out. The catcher comes up and gets the count to 3-2. Our pitcher throws his hard slider down and in(right handed hitter), that was normally un-hittable. The hitter hits a pea(the ball looked the size of a pea) about 4 feet over my head at shortstop that I barely had time to jump for. The ball hits the bottom of the left-center field fence and the catcher ends up with a double.

    Our pitcher is pissed and walking around wondering what the hell just happened. So our first baseman goes and talks to him, then our coach goes out to talk to him. So I went over to the ex-major leaguer and said "man, I'm glad I didn't get a glove on that one". He just chuckled. I then asked "how did you hit that pitch?" He quickly rattles off the pitch sequences of the previous 4 batters--about 16 pitches--and goes "I knew he was coming with the slider". I asked "even on 3-2, you were looking slider?" He gave me a look like I was an idiot because he just explained why he was looking slider and said "ya, he struck out 2 of the guys with the slider and he thought he could get me out with it."

    I didn't know what the hell to say because I was still reeling from him remembering the pitch sequences from the 4 batters before him. Hell, I couldn't remember the pitch sequence in my own last at bat.

    Not saying all the pros are that detailed, but I would suspect a lot are or just understand parts of the game better than most. Maybe just a little insight to what mental level some athletes are on in regards to their sport.
    Something that I meant to emphasize with the story that may not come through was that when I asked the question of how the major league catcher hit that pitch?, I was asking about the technique he used to get to that pitch and hit it so hard.

    Notice his answer had nothing to do with technique. He already possessed the ability to hit any pitch so his focus was not placed on the technique but instead on how he could get the odds more in his favor of getting a the pitcher to throw a pitch he knew was coming.

    He could have easily "guessed" wrong, but the conviction he had as he said that he knew the slider was coming was the most impressive. Placed in the same situation, most guys including the 4 previous hitters and myself, would be looking fastball and try to adjust to another pitch. The problem was that the pitcher threw his slider so hard coupled with the ball diving to your back foot, that it was near impossible to adjust...unless you knew it was coming.

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    El Cajon, California, USA.
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wulsy View Post
    If you look at many of the greats over the years (Nicklaus, Hogan, Nelson, Trevino, Palmer, Player, Watson, maybe even Miller) they were all blessed with a self confidence and an independence of thought and action which never left them. In contrast, Tiger is full of self doubt and always looking to others. Tiger has the right talent and the wrong personality for the longevity of these greats. IMHO Foley is burdened with same personality defect as Tiger - hence their rapport.
    I would love to fill myself with all of the self doubt that Tiger has. Seeing how he has won 25% + of all of his professional starts perhaps the self doubt route is a better way to go than the self confident and independence of thought route. Seriously has there ever been anyone who has exhibited less self doubt than Tiger? As for longevity, Tiger has won golf tournaments for 17 years. Is he a flash in the pan?

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    I have to say, it's a little disappointing to see Doral play as easy as it is. Even the famous 18th hole seems easy! I know the wind is down but still, maybe The Donald is right to tear it up.

    Tiger does seem to be playing well, though!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12