Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Brian Manzella

Thread: what if no clubface squaring needed

Default what if no clubface squaring needed

let's say there was no need to square the clubface up at impact (unrealistic I know, but just for the sake of understanding), and you just tried to max out clubhead speed...does existing scientific models show that more clubhead speed can be created, or to max out speed you would want to square the face up anyway, regardless of whether there was a need or not?
    Leo

With out squaring I would think the swing would look drastically different.
    Moving the hands towards the target....is death.

The clubs as well!
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

A lot more people in the Hall of Fame, and a lot more guys in the Remax WLD.
    "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly and bear considerable watching." ~ US Army Officer's Guide, 1894

Closure adds speed.
    cwdlaw223 and magicmarker like this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by wulsy View Post
    The clubs as well!
    I'm assuming the same implements, but somehow hitting it square doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    Closure adds speed.
    Aha, so if hitting it square doesn't matter, the clubface would be more closed at impact for more speed...so the left arm wedge would be more turned over.

The reason for this weird thread is because I've always wondered if squaring the club up was a natural by-product of an efficient and sound swing...because squaring the face as we know is not an "automatic" process...you cannot not get it for free from other forces and torques and moment arms in the swing (but they can help a bit, just not enough to square it 100%). Somehow one has to use their hands/arms/shoulder complex to square the club up...which we've now concluded IS necessary for maxing out speed anyway.
    Leo

I don't think you get "free clubface control" by the use of any other mechanics....but that's just my opinion.

Dr. Nesbit and Dr, MacKenzie—separately—are doing clubface research as we speak.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Brian -

Doesn't Tuxen now believe that the speed of clubface rotation (ignore face/path/centerness of hit for now) can influence the spin axis to the right?

Most people would think the opposite. The faster the face closes the more the face might be closed to the path, but the friction of the contact between the ball and the closing clubface might reduce the effect of the face/path relationship. I presume this is high level math and I could be wrong.

Thread Information