Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for drills for club face rotation at and through and after impact

Default Looking for drills for club face rotation at and through and after impact

I am right handed. I have a problem with my left wrist bending at and after impact. Teachers usually get me to do small chip shots keeping my left wrist flat, but then they have been no help in a larger swing. I found out in a lesson Saturday with a newer better teacher that my problem is that I have not been rotating my left wrist and instead have been "laying back" my clubface as the clubhead passes the hands early. And then faking my hand rotation way too late. With weaker, higher shots as a result. Part of this is that I have had an incorrect idea of horizontal hinging and have been keeping the club face pointing along the clubhead path too long. I need to rotate my hands, keep my left wrist flat and get the toe of the club pointing in the direction of the clubhead path sooner.

I am looking for a description of a drill, a youtube video, or a link to a thread, or even a tip for what to search for, to find some drills that would help me with this. I have found some pinch drills and some punch drills. I am looking for small chipping drills to work on my flat left wrist and then more 9 to 3 type drills to work on my hand rotation.

Thank you.

It would help if you can post some swings up.
    Leo

How about I explain a little more. Imagine the clubhead at impact. Right now, after impact, my clubhead is not closing very much and my hands are not rotating very much. After impact, my clubhead is passing my hands as the left wrist bends and the clubface lays back, and the clubface continues to point toward the direction the clubhead is moving on an arc. I am looking for a drill that helps me keep my left wrist flat at and after impact as I then rotate my hands, helping me to hit the ball lower and with more compression.

NSA
    Neil

Be careful about developing tunnel vision on what the hands are doing. The other components also need to support what you want to do. The lower body needs to be stabilizing, the upper needs to be open and the hand path needs to be working up and in. Developing a handle drag is NOT what you want to do, but easy to do when you lock in on just the "look" of what you're after.
    "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly and bear considerable watching." ~ US Army Officer's Guide, 1894

I will be careful. I agree that my shoulders need to be opening, my spine needs to maintain inclination, my chest needs to be staying back, and I need my hand path to be up and in.

To start with, I would NOT recommend trying to keep the left wrist flat on small chip shots as the FIRST RESORT to learning to "line the club up for impact."
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Not trying to line up the clubface for impact. I am trying to learn to go from toe up to toe up, instead of toe up to face up.

I do not slice. My problem is not directional. My problem is too much clubface layback. Too much loft at impact.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 11-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Arch,

I said "Line the CLUB up for impact."

We really don't like advertising for other teachers on this site, but since John and Jim are good friends of mine, that's ok—this time.

Please explain why you think what the clubface does through the ball will have any bearing on where the ball goes......

"All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

I deleted my youtube references.

BM: "Please explain why you think what the clubface does through the ball will have any bearing on where the ball goes." My answer is that when the club shaft is angled more toward the target, the clubface is less lofted, and the ball goes lower than when the clubface is less lofted, or in my case, laying back.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 11-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information