Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Arms Dropping from the top too much

I have working through a number of swing issues over the last few months and I've made a lot of great improvements and things are getting to be pretty solid. There is one issue, however, that persists. My pattern model is NHA 2.0, or very near it.

No matter how little I lift my arms, my hands always want to fall too much straight down. This cramps me, and if from there I keep my arms straight, I hit a snap hook. So, of course I let my arms bend because there is no room and I don't have a good move.

I'm debating my next step:
    1) Stick something behind me to literally force me to move the club onto the plane (carry and drop the sugar)
    2) Swing back flatter to match my arms and shoulders, because presumably my arms want to get lined up with my shoulders (that's what it looks like on video)
    3) Turn my shoulders even steeper so that my natural arm swing matches my shoulders.

I can try as hard as I can to carry my hands over, but dang if they just want to keep on falling straight down.

Thanks in advance!

I can sell you some of my carry.
    "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly and bear considerable watching." ~ US Army Officer's Guide, 1894

Yesterday was interesting - I took an old shaft and a shortened pool noodle with me and stuck it in the underplane position. I had to swing over it...whiffed once and many other odd shots, but I started to get the feeling. Definitely there is a different pivot to support that club in that position as opposed to way underplane.

This feeling is so wierd though because for so long I've just directed my whole swing left with the club underneath, as opposed to getting it on plane correctly from the top.

In NHA 2.0 Brian has the hands lifting for sure, so I think I'm okay with a little bit of the hands above the right shoulder as opposed to no lift. I don't want them too high though as it's easy to drop them down too much, though.

Have u tried the towel as a plane board? I think its in NHA.
    If I grip it strong and hit it long is that wrong?

Look I will stab you, I wont kill you but I will stab you!

Yes, I did set up a plane board with a foam noodle. Maybe it wasn't tall enough? I was able to miss the foam, maybe by just directing my whole motion left. I tried with that for a few weeks before deciding to try this new way.

Default Rotate like Garrigus

(1) Higher hands at the top encourages less arm drop.

(2) On the downswing, if you slide toward the target less, your arms will fall behind your body less.

(3) Look at Robert Garrigus's swing:

He has VIOLENT chest rotation through impact! That discourages the arms from dropping. Personally, I try to get that chest rotation by trying to hit a screaming line drive foul ball way way way way left into the bleachers.
    Last edited by Lifter; 11-22-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will work on the shoulder turn aspect along with continuing to take my hands around the obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by jewofgolf View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I will work on the shoulder turn aspect along with continuing to take my hands around the obstacle.
    Try flatter/lower arms at the top.
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

Quote Originally Posted by wulsy View Post
    Try flatter/lower arms at the top.
    Yes it made sense to me that if I keep them lower, it's harder to drop them. It's kind of hard for me to execute, but I'm including it as part of this process. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information