Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By BrendanC
  • 5 Post By Brian Manzella

Thread: Rory wins Aussie Open - first win of 2013

Default Rory wins Aussie Open - first win of 2013

Leo

I have no inside info on his current coaching, but from following interviews and the likes over the last few years, I don't think Rory and his coach (Michael Bannon) ever pursue anything too fancy, big theories etc.

Bannon is old-school, not someone who pushes a method or secret, and the main focus with Rory is on maintaining good habits, fine-tuning and watching out for old flaws creeping back in from time to time.

Why would the owner of a swing like Rory's ever do anything other than this?

Distractions (including money, a change of sponsor to Nike and a break-up with his management company) have been the problem.

Johnny Miller still says that changing clubs at the peak of his career was the worst decision he ever made.
    mgranato and Kevin Shields like this.
    Wittgenstein: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

Hemingway: "The first draft of anything is shit"

This story reminds me of the kid who rides his bike on the TOP of a fence at the age of 7. Something that a very good 15 year old cyclist would have a hard time of.

Then, when he realizes what he is doing, it just got VERY hard.

Most of the time, that realization started with the inevitable failing off the fence for the first time.

But.....

He DID ride the bike on the top of the fence....so he CAN do it.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    This story reminds me of the kid who rides his bike on the TOP of a fence at the age of 7. Something that a very good 15 year old cyclist would have a hard time of.

Most of the time, that realization started with the inevitable failing off the fence for the first time.

But.....

did changing to a nike bike have anything to do with it?
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post

But.....

That wonderlic score surfaces from time to time with posts like this. Being a BMX rider as a kid, I can't believe the things I could do. Then, when I really failed hard for the first time and shattered my arm, it was never the same. I realized how hard some of the things I did we're and they just became harder to do.
    Last edited by Kevin Shields; 12-03-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    Kevin Shields

www.shieldsembroiderybydesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by tongzilla View Post
    He has one major flaw IMO, and I saw it creep up numerous times in the last round. But, someone of his talent can still do what he did in that situation shows what level he's at.
    Kevin Shields

www.shieldsembroiderybydesign.com

Check out how, during the final round, Rory slightly lifted his left heel and then re-planted it forward in transition. Awesome!

I have never liked a forced down left heel on the backswing—ever.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Thread Information