Default High or low hands?

Is it easier to release with the hands high or low at setup? I have tried high like Moe and low like Jason Duffner. I have hard time with release.

I believe that the higher hands make it easier to close the clubface.

To illustrate the point, hold a club with your left hand and point the club straight so that the club and left arm form as straight a line as possible. Now rotate the club from 90° open to 90° closed. It doesn't take much effort. Now cock the left wrist to as close to 90° as possible and do the same. Much harder. Instead of moving the clubhead a foot or so like in the first exercise, you are moving that sucker some 8 feet or so.

However, I'm sure that for some people, low hands sets off a good chain of actions & reactions that helps give them a wonderful release.
    At least now I understand why I suck at this game.

Moe was one of a kind golfer, with impeckable timing.
    The only top pro I seen with "high hands" at set up was Nancy Lopez, however at impact her hands become low.

I personally dont like high hands, as I like radial deviation of my wrist, it makes my kinetic chain of the golf motion work more efficiently for myself.
    When I have high hands, I tend to arch my wrist and have too much pressure on my left thumb. Though I like "high hands" in putting

"I have hard time with release. " Can please elaborate, it may more than a low hands or high hands issue. Golf is somewhat a game of opposites, meaning if I cock /set wrist early (me) I will release early and vise a versa, its kinda depends on the tendencies of the player.
    If I grip it strong and hit it long is that wrong?

Look I will stab you, I wont kill you but I will stab you!

Quote Originally Posted by duckjr78 View Post
    I believe that the higher hands make it easier to close the clubface.

To illustrate the point, hold a club with your left hand and point the club straight so that the club and left arm form as straight a line as possible. Now rotate the club from 90° open to 90° closed. It doesn't take much effort. Now cock the left wrist to as close to 90° as possible and do the same. Much harder. Instead of moving the clubhead a foot or so like in the first exercise, you are moving that sucker some 8 feet or so.

However, I'm sure that for some people, low hands sets off a good chain of actions & reactions that helps give them a wonderful release.
    incorrect assertion. Having the club with the wrist cocked just needs palmer flexion which will move the club offline as much as in the first example you gave and square the club around the axis. your applying the same move in both examples as a way to square the club face when they do not apply in the different hand positions. the first example requires supination, the second requires palmar flexion in that state, but both give the same effect.

In about 99% of cases, the higher the hands the EASIER the release is.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Thread Information