Default Ability to make a move

So, I've been working on clearing my left side - getting my hips and shoulders working left, trying to get my shoulders to be more flat at impact (rather than vertical, like Tiger has a bad habit of doing).

I have found that on 3/4 shots, I can absolutely get the body there. On full and especially hard swings, no matter how much I think about keep my hands quiet or how many times I rehearse getting everything moving left, I still end up with pretty vertical shoulders and square hips.

I think I might have an issue with range of motion - I know I have pretty tight hamstrings and I have always had lower back/hip issues on and off. Are there any tests for range of motion I can do to figure out if this is a swing issue or a body issue?

Other thoughts?

Where is the ball going with this impact?
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Don't most Pro's have much more vertical shoulders at impact than the average golfer? Most pictures I've seen show this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    Where is the ball going with this impact?
    On the 3/4 swings it's a solid, lower flight.

On the full/hard swings, my miss has always been a block. On video, it's clear that I'm underplane - I start to run out of space and go up instead of around.

It's the same thing we worked on during the lesson. I'm able to pull off the move on a 3/4 swing, but something is holding me back from executing it on full swings.

EDIT: In our lesson I was "wrapping around" - I guess I came up with a solution to not being able to get my shoulders through it...so I've been working hard on the belly button leading the bow tie and all the things we worked on. I'm sort of stuck on this clearing my body issue (on full swings).

The more I think about "sitting down" into my left heel, the better I do. Still, on video it's very obvious that I'm still not getting my body moving left.

EDIT:The body moves left, but only after impact. The axis tilt is there - it's not the wraparound mistake.
    Last edited by jewofgolf; 04-03-2014 at 11:31 AM.

You may have limited internal rotation in your lead hip. Have you tried flaring your lead foot more at set up, this will help open and give you a little extra range of motion.

The driver is a different timing swing.

You need to try to balance out the clubhead/clubshaft torque mid-downswing in your case.

The big thing is to find out whether the club is laying down early or later.

If it IS early, mid-downswing feel your arms start to slow as you try to TOSS the clubhead about 45° outward from your hands.

If it is late, we need more along the hand path speed early and less late.

I'll try to shoot a little video tomorrow to demonstrate.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Brian, that would be awesome. I really can't wait until you are in the area so we can have a live lesson. Even anywhere near and I would drive a bit. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    The driver is a different timing swing.

You need to try to balance out the clubhead/clubshaft torque mid-downswing in your case.

The big thing is to find out whether the club is laying down early or later.

If it IS early, mid-downswing feel your arms start to slow as you try to TOSS the clubhead about 45° outward from your hands.

If it is late, we need more along the hand path speed early and less late.

I'll try to shoot a little video tomorrow to demonstrate.
    It IS early, and you can see my head drop a bit through impact. I guess I keep my arms tucked in for too long...so by "tossing" them out, my body has to respond by turning more. Is that a good summary?

Thread Information