Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "Spinning out" the left shoulder

Default "Spinning out" the left shoulder

Jerry1967 posed the question, "why would someone spin out the left shoulder."

It is a very good question.

If you start the second phase of the downswing (the part where you start really torquing the club) before you get your Center of Pressure (what FEELS LIKE your weight) far enough left, you will spin your torso and your pelvis out if you try to unwind at all.

Try to SAVE SOME of your torso turn as you push off of your right foot and get to your left.

It is one of the most important moves in golf—get left enough, still closed enough, with your left shoulder still low enough.....then BOOM!...jump, unwind, and tuck your hips.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

That is good stuff. Thanks Brian.

Thanks J!
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Thanks Brian

Tuck your hips?

Kevin Shields once told me "your left shoulder gets too open, too up too soon forcing the right hand to throw the clubhead to catch up". Probably the single best piece of advice I ever got on my golf swing.
    Shot Limit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rafared View Post
    Kevin Shields once told me "your left shoulder gets too open, too up too soon forcing the right hand to throw the clubhead to catch up". Probably the single best piece of advice I ever got on my golf swing.
    thank you
    Last edited by jerry1967; 04-03-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Jerry, I'd call it more "backing your hips in" early in the downswing, so that you have some left to turn when the torso starts pouring it on.

99% of golfers who spin out, don't back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    Jerry, I'd call it more "backing your hips in" early in the downswing, so that you have some left to turn when the torso starts pouring it on.

99% of golfers who spin out, don't back in.
    ok now I understand, Thank You.
    Shot Limit likes this.

What is "backing your hips in"? Is it moving the pelvis back towards the heels? Or is it the idea of moving the right arse-cheek targetwards at the start of the downswing?
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

Throw the frisbee over that tree over there.... with your left arm...
    Why have a brain if you are going to take it out and let others play with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information