Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quick look at a swing

Brian, my nephew wanted me to take a look at his swing, he is struggling to get some play time on his high school team. Would you change his backswing? It's way too flat in my opinion. His miss is big blocks to the right. Any quick suggestions? I would love him to get a live lesson, when is the next time your coming to Michigan?

Apr 12, 2014 - YouTube
    Formally known as Matt F., I changed due to another person taking the same screen name on another golf forum.

Wow, you got that right. That clubhead is WAY inside (the hands) by the time it's parallel to the ground in the backswing. I like it a little outside of them... It is a power leak for sure IMO because he is swinging around gravity instead of with gravity.

You have to kind of look at where the club would try and fall if you let go with your hands. This club would fall behind/inside and away from the ball at virtually every point in the swing so his entire swing has to fight that from happening.

Pete Cowen has a pretty good youtube video that explains the concept I'm referring to around the 2:00 - 3:00 mark.

Pete Cowen - YouTube

If I broke rules, delete this, I do apologize....
    I dream about life, so I'm living the dream.
    As a toddler he taught others to walk.
    He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

He is in the middle of their golf season and they are starting matches so I am looking for a way to get him by without rebuilding until after the season. I don't teach for a living but I do help people out when they ask for some help. I really don't know how to help this swing without making huge changes and we all know that making huge changes takes time to ingrain. The only swing that I can think of that slightly compares to it is Kuchar's, how does he make that ugly as sin swing work? I have never studied it because it repulses me.
    Formally known as Matt F., I changed due to another person taking the same screen name on another golf forum.

Start with more tumble. Then see what kind of ball flight he gets and adjust anything else accordingly.
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 4-L View Post
    He is in the middle of their golf season and they are starting matches so I am looking for a way to get him by without rebuilding until after the season. I don't teach for a living but I do help people out when they ask for some help. I really don't know how to help this swing without making huge changes and we all know that making huge changes takes time to ingrain. The only swing that I can think of that slightly compares to it is Kuchar's, how does he make that ugly as sin swing work? I have never studied it because it repulses me.
    In short he pivots around his left leg, uses a steeper shoulder and hip turn coupled with a flat backswing and a full body release.

How To Make Your Swing Repeat: Matt Kuchar : Golf Digest

Start with "try to show your underarms on the backswing."
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Kevin Shields has frequently mentioned "underplane syndrome."

Sure seems that that's the issue here......

The thing is .....what to tell him first. LIFT your arms.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

That is the first thing I did tell him was to lift his arms but I couldn't get him to do it in a real time swing. I like the "show your arm pits" swing thought, I will try that.

Brian do you have a Michigan stop planned this year?

I am probably coming to Michigan later this summer.

2nd Choice.....carry drill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information