Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How important is Angle of Attack?

Default How important is Angle of Attack?

Path could be zero, face could be zero.

What would say a difference of 3 degrees down versus 7 degrees down have on the golf ball. I hear about AoA in relation to the driver and distance but wonder how much it impact what the ball does after contact.

Is it more, less, or equal in relation to path/face?

Greg,

I hate to say this, but I have to put you in the class with Lloyd Higley and the others. You post on Jeff Martin's site - therefore you get no answers. You are guilty by association.

I'm not sure I even understand the question. Are you talking about with a driver, or just in general? Are you talking about its importance vs. path and face? If so, you don't have a "path" without AoA, you just have an overall swing direction.

Angle of Attack is THE most important of the four D-Plane numbers.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Finney View Post
    Greg,

I hate to say this, but I have to put you in the class with Lloyd Higley and the others. You post on Jeff Martin's site - therefore you get no answers. You are guilty by association.
    Well, I don't think Greg wears the number of hats that Lloyd does. Lloyd joins in with the mocking tone at Jeffy's site and then zips over to Facebook and tries to act neutral. Kinda tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    why? the face numbers contribute 85% of the ball's starting direction whereas the path numbers like AoA only contribute around 15%...so in those terms it would seem like it's less important.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by gmbtempe View Post
    Path could be zero, face could be zero.

What would say a difference of 3 degrees down versus 7 degrees down have on the golf ball. I hear about AoA in relation to the driver and distance but wonder how much it impact what the ball does after contact.

Is it more, less, or equal in relation to path/face?
    Greg, to have a better understanding, you don't even have to separate the vertical from the horizontal. In 3D, it is just a face plane moving a certain direction, and the differential between the two. You can figure out the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    Interesting as it seems to be the least discussed.

I conducted a personal experiment at the range and was really shocked at the results, I have no fancy machine so my guess was I someone how manipulated the AoA.

I took the strongest grip possible and tried to make swings that felt like they would be hard draws or hooks, I fight a pull hook with a nominal strong grip. The shots with this experiment where high very soft baby draws with a 7 iron. No hooks and no pulls. Only thing I can think of is trying to hit a hook shallowed out the AoA. Its something I never tried before and the results where surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Finney View Post
    Greg,

Understand, happens at other sites from posting at Lynns, Richies, Jeff Manns. To each his own I say.

I dont know Lloyd though.

A positive AoA vs, Negative AoA given the same launch angle will have a drastic impact on backspin. Positive AoA to achieve a certain launch angle will result in greater distance, all else equal.

This is related to spin loft.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information