Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian Manzella

Thread: AMM This!!

Default AMM This!!

Got to study a boatload of AMM lead wrist graphs of PGA Tour players today.

Less than 10% did anything like keeping the amount of flexion in their lead wrist toward impact.

90%+ did EXACTLY what I teach. They peaked their lead wrist flexion (arch) pre-impact and then rapidly went toward extension (bend) pre-impact. Most of those still were in flexion at impact but MUCH LESS than they had at their peak.

So I looked to see WHERE this "flick" occurred...

I was surprised to see it was around when the shaft was 60° from vertical.

Suffice it to say that the great majority of those 90+% were NOT handle-draggers and the great majority of the less than 10% were.

Hope this picture helps explain the terms...

"All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

BTW, I've been teaching this for years now....
    mjh116 likes this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Those 10% who were close to keeping their flexion, were they more accurate? Probably not but I still got to throw this out as it's a valid question
    Leo

Yes but do they have gold medals?
    Fast backswing, caddie yard grip, and a pocket full of money.

They were not more accurate

Brian, do you recommend an early release in the downswing?
    JP

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" ---- John Wooden

What would you cal an early release, JP?

I heard Nicklaus say once that most golfers cannot release the club to soon. So an early release to me would be from the start of the downswing, feeling like you are releasing the club.
    JP

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" ---- John Wooden

studying the wrist movement in the original post I really think of two things both hoganesque. the wrist movement from flexion towards extension is appears to be a release of the club in that " bull-whip" fashion. the flexion--> extension being the snap of the whip. And the holdof the extension if you imagine that in the follow through would probably look pretty identical to that famous picture of hogan at merion. OOr going -18* with the wrist on the follow through. I have been working on this really hard through out the winter. Miss shot has gone from a slice to hook.

Thread Information