Default Son of a former flipper

Hi Guys

I am utterly confused.

I bought a new set of fitted clubs, first time I have ever had a fitted set. Went from clubs that were 3 degrees upright to 4 degrees flat, yay no more left hand side of the golf course for me. Went back 3 months later to have them re-checked, the pro turns to me and says you have a bit of a flip, see that millimetre gap on the impact from the leading edge.

First question,

Based on Brian M. stating that you need to use the bounce, shouldn't there be a small gap back from the leading edge when looking at the impact tape ?

So I booked 6 coaching sessions with the pro. First session put me on video, have a sway back and a large lateral slide forward with my hips from the front on view, DTL the club is coming down the right forearm (plane?) but I am swinging out to right field and losing posture at impact.

Second question,

Brian M. states first movement of the hips is to turn them back more and bump a little to right field, or have I miss-understood that statement ?

Third question,

I have always hit the ball really really high, I am not a big divot taker, this is one of the reasons I so readily believed I was flipping, in saying that I never had an issue with playing the ball down and loved seeing my ball in the front of a divot cause I knew I was gonna stop on a dime. Am I hitting it too high because I should be releasing later in the swing ?

Forth question,

Does the more spin angle forward (my terminology sucks) most likely result in lower ball flight ?

Am keenly interested in your responses.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by LDGolf View Post

Based on Brian M. stating that you need to use the bounce, shouldn't there be a small gap back from the leading edge when looking at the impact tape ?
    Absolutely.

So I booked 6 coaching sessions with the pro. First session put me on video, have a sway back and a large lateral slide forward with my hips from the front on view, DTL the club is coming down the right forearm (plane?) but I am swinging out to right field and losing posture at impact.
    The outside of your lead hip should never get to a line running up from the lead foot. Once you get left—ideally by lead arm parallel pre-impact, you should be pushing up toward your left ear and "covering" with the trail shoulder, keeping the club from going "below plane" and swinging too far inside-out.

Brian M. states first movement of the hips is to turn them back more and bump a little to right field, or have I miss-understood that statement ?
    Some folks can ADD, some folks need to just maintain as much as they can on the "run up."

Third question,

I have always hit the ball really really high, I am not a big divot taker, this is one of the reasons I so readily believed I was flipping, in saying that I never had an issue with playing the ball down and loved seeing my ball in the front of a divot cause I knew I was gonna stop on a dime. Am I hitting it too high because I should be releasing later in the swing ?
    If your trail shoulder is too far back, you can't reach a forward leaning shaft.

You have to have enough right wrist bend, late enough, to be able to start taking it out pre-impact and still have the right amount of forward lean.

Forth question,

Does the more spin angle forward (my terminology sucks) most likely result in lower ball flight ?
    The ball will start about 70% toward the face—up from the angle of attack.

So, with the same DELIVERED and DYNAMIC LOFT, you will wind up with a lower ball flight if you hit down on it more.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post

The outside of your lead hip should never get to a line running up from the lead foot. Once you get left—ideally by lead arm parallel pre-impact, you should be pushing up toward your left ear and "covering" with the trail shoulder, keeping the club from going "below plane" and swinging too far inside-out.
    Thank you for your response Brian.

Can you please expand on the term "covering" with the trail shoulder. I have looked through to forum and am not sure what exactly this means.

I suspect it is rotating the shoulder far enough through so that at impact the hands can be forward enough to get the required shaft lean.

Is the rotation on a flatish or steeper plane ?

Thank you,

Thread Information