Default Best swing pattern to avoid low back pain

I have been golfing on and off for 15 years. I have taken several breaks during that time due to lower back pain, and not improving, but something keeps bringing me back to golf.

Over the past year I have been exercising, going to a chiropractor, and working on core strength. My overall back is better with only some pain throughout the day, however when I goto the range or play my back hurts during and after the round. I feel it is really holding back any improvement.

I'm 42 years old 5' 10" 154lbs. I workout 5 times a week including running 15-25 miles a week. I'm getting ready to start training for another Half marathon soon. My back feels good when I run!

I have always had a flat backswing and steep downswing. I also have very little hip turn in the backswing which I am working on. After reviewing the Brian Manzella twistaway my slice went away for the most part. I have had a few good rounds the past 12 months shooting in the 80's to low 90's from the white tees.

Is there a swing pattern that is easy on the lower back? Jim Hardy claims a one plane swing is good for your lower back but it seems to hurt mine. It is possible I was not doing it correctly.

Here is a video on my Never Slice Again swing pattern from last month which I posted in another thread. In this swing I am trying to add extra hip turn in my backswing. While it felt like a lot of hip turn - looking at the video it is not. I have since taken a month off to rest my back and regroup on my desire to continue playing golf with back pain.

Thanks for you help!

Hi, just curious, do you feel like you are generating any power through your leg action, or are they just supporting your upper body move?

Quote Originally Posted by QSPILOTCMH View Post
    I have been golfing on and off for 15 years. I have taken several breaks during that time due to lower back pain, and not improving, but something keeps bringing me back to golf.

Over the past year I have been exercising, going to a chiropractor, and working on core strength. My overall back is better with only some pain throughout the day, however when I goto the range or play my back hurts during and after the round. I feel it is really holding back any improvement.

I'm 42 years old 5' 10" 154lbs. I workout 5 times a week including running 15-25 miles a week. I'm getting ready to start training for another Half marathon soon. My back feels good when I run!

I have always had a flat backswing and steep downswing. I also have very little hip turn in the backswing which I am working on. After reviewing the Brian Manzella twistaway my slice went away for the most part. I have had a few good rounds the past 12 months shooting in the 80's to low 90's from the white tees.

Is there a swing pattern that is easy on the lower back? Jim Hardy claims a one plane swing is good for your lower back but it seems to hurt mine. It is possible I was not doing it correctly.

Here is a video on my Never Slice Again swing pattern from last month which I posted in another thread. In this swing I am trying to add extra hip turn in my backswing. While it felt like a lot of hip turn - looking at the video it is not. I have since taken a month off to rest my back and regroup on my desire to continue playing golf with back pain.

Thanks for you help!
    Early extension in the golf swing is hard on the back. If you have some get rid of it.

I do feel like my lower body generates power. It feels like I have to be careful not to turn my hips too fast in the downswing. This could be caused by not turning them enough in the backswing???

call me anytime 502-417-4653
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

You have a great down-cock move. If you could hold your back more towards the target in and out of transition I think you would ameliorate the stress on it and keep your power. Best of luck.

Thread Information