Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By trashpar
  • 1 Post By Brian Manzella

Thread: Long clubs better than short....Please help.

Default Long clubs better than short....Please help.

My game is confusing. Honestly the driver, 3 wood and hybrids are the best clubs in my bag. Irons are ok but not close to the same level as my driver and long clubs. I hitting my long clubs very straight with a slight draw normally. My irons normally curve too much left. I can pure it, look up and it's right at the flag and a late draw spin normal kicks in it drives me crazy! I could have some low rounds if my ball wouldnt curve so much with my irons. I'm about to start trying to slice swing my irons just because I'm gonna vomit the next time I start one right at the flag and see it curve left.

Any advice?

This same thing bugged the crap out of me for the last couple of years. It took a while, but I think I've pretty much taken care of it in my own swing. I was probably worse than what you describe as I would even set up right of my target hoping to play that normal ball flight, but I would then start the ball at the target and have it draw more left. Anyway, I would have the club face a little closed and swing too much to the right causing the pull draw.

I tried to lay down the club at transition then tumble to get more on top, but this was way too inconsistent. I finally have found a pivot that works really well at straightening out my ballflight. It is utilizing the Kwon/Como pivot information with the key for me being when my lead arm is about parallel on the backswing as the center of pressure is moving to the left, I also open my pelvis to start the rotation; this also has to happen without lateral movement for me. This move causes my club to lay down on its own. From there I just try to rotate the torso with the feeling of hitting the ball with the right side of my chest (and I mean literally if the clubhead were imbedded in my right pec). I also need to have somewhat of a pitch elbow and feel the hands getting out in front and left along with the torso feel. This is about the only way I have been able to somewhat automate the tumble.

I don't know what it looks like because I haven't filmed it, but this is the best and most consistent I have ever hit the ball. My only problem with it is that I can't go after the ball over 80% swing speed without slipping back into the old swing.

I don't know if you need most of these elements in your swing, but I know I needed it as everything else I tried did not last. Hope it helps. Best of luck.

How much divot do you take?
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    How much divot do you take?
    Normal size divot, not a picker or a digger. I just don't get it, I can hit it dead flush perfect strike, that starts in the middle of the green and finishes on the left fringe. Divot will be looking right at the flag, but there might be alitle curve to the left with the toe part of the divot.

I really don't know what to think anymore. Could I be trapping the ball too much?

I was wondering if you have been able to notice with trackman why some people are much better with long clubs and some are much better with short. How do you become good with both, where is the misunderstanding?
    Last edited by ndwolfe81; 06-16-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Might get on a lie board. Clubs could be a bit too upright in short irons...
    Burner likes this.

You are ABSOLUTELY swinging too far inside-out....do you have Never Hook Again 2?
    faux_maestro likes this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Yes, with shake the sugar

Try and hit cuts until they start to bleed right...
    I dream about life, so I'm living the dream.
    As a toddler he taught others to walk.
    He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

Quote Originally Posted by ndwolfe81 View Post
    Normal size divot, not a picker or a digger. I just don't get it, I can hit it dead flush perfect strike, that starts in the middle of the green and finishes on the left fringe. Divot will be looking right at the flag, but there might be alitle curve to the left with the toe part of the divot.

I really don't know what to think anymore. Could I be trapping the ball too much?

I was wondering if you have been able to notice with trackman why some people are much better with long clubs and some are much better with short. How do you become good with both, where is the misunderstanding?
    The divot should be left. As Brian said, you are too inside-out.
    Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur

Thread Information