Thread: Club gaps

Default Club gaps

I am looking harder and harder at flipping the gaps in my set. 3 in the long end and 5 on the short end just does not make sense to me. Sure, it's easier to hit a softie, baby cut take 2 yards off wedge than the same shot with a 4 iron, but why am I hitting that shot anyway? If I had smaller gaps between the clubs that cover the yardage I am most often faced with for approach shots, then logic dictates that I will be "on the number" more often and hit fewer non-stock shots.

For instance, at my club, I am left with an approach shot of 100-140 on 14 holes or so, depending on the wind. The remaining shots are made up of @180 yds x 3 and 150 yds x 1. Currently, I have 12-15 yard gaps at the bottom of my set:

LW - 90
    SW - 105
    GW - 120
    PW - 135
    9i - 148
    8i - 160

I also have 4 clubs to hit the ball >200 yds. 4i, 3h, 3w, & D. My 4i and 5i rarely get used. I'm thinking I can get more birdie looks by going with smaller (10 yd) gaps in my wedges & short irons and the trade off would be larger gaps in my long irons that I don't hit anyway, other than as a layup off the tee or on a par 5, neither of which poses a "specific" distance issue.

My question is this: What are some of the pros & cons of going to 3 gaps in my wedges and 5 gaps in my long irons? Has anyone done this?
    At least now I understand why I suck at this game.

Be careful bending anything more than +/- 3 loft because you screw up the bounce of the club.
    - Captain Obvious

It's pretty important, at a higher level and on modern golf courses, to be good from 175 - 225. But not at the cost of sacrificing an average proximity to the hole of about 20' if you're a good amateur or 14-17' from 120 and in if you're aiming to be as good as pro.
    - Mark Broadie (paraphrased of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Robbierob99 View Post
    Be careful bending anything more than +/- 3 loft because you screw up the bounce of the club.
    - Captain Obvious

It's pretty important, at a higher level and on modern golf courses, to be good from 175 - 225. But not at the cost of sacrificing an average proximity to the hole of about 20' if you're a good amateur or 14-17' from 120 and in if you're aiming to be as good as pro.
    - Mark Broadie (paraphrased of course)
    That is my thinking as well. Even if I move to the tips on my course, or look at the courses I'll play next year in the Dixie Section, I just won't see a ton of shots from 200yds.

Where does Broadie talk about this? I want to read more on his thoughts. I initially got the idea from Tom Wishon/old school club lofts.
    At least now I understand why I suck at this game.

Thread Information