Page 1 of 10 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Downswing

Default Downswing

I have different answers on what starts the down swing. Once I get to the top (brian) what is the first movement to start down in sequences please.

I'm no Brian, but I'd say that there's not so much one thing that "starts" the downswing, but that there are certain things that begin the transition from backswing to downswing. My estimate would be that a shift of pressure toward the front foot would be the first thing you'd see happen in a good player's downswing sequence.
    Last edited by holeout; 01-01-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo
    dthom likes this.

Joe....great question.

In a good golf swing, the feet are ALREADY STARTING TO MOVE IN THE "downswing direction" —laterally toward the target and rotationally toward the target—well before the club gets anywhere near what folks would call the top.

Something that YOU CAN NOT SEE ON VIDEO.
    holeout and mjh116 like this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Personally, I love the right foot clockwise push in the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrunk View Post
    Personally, I love the right foot clockwise push in the transition.
    Brian glad to see your doing great also very glad to see you found time to answer my question. O.K. now one last thing,after the feet move forward what is the next thing that follows body or hands?

Joe....

The FEET SLOW AND HALT the backswing as well as changing the direction.

Just a reminder....

The next thing to start towards the target is the hips....first the ADD a little turn as they start to shift forward, then they start to turn.
    mjh116 likes this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Thanks , got it...good luck b-man your almost there...

If you really want to learn to pivot correctly—you have to get the forces that rotate, shift, and orient the body in space correct.

Ground Reaction Force Science is the way and the truth.

Otherwise....you are one step behind the CAUSE for the position or movement.
    mjh116 likes this.

Now...the way to learn this is with MOVEMENT DOWNSTAIRS.....

I'll post up a little video.

In the meantime, watch this little guy's foot shuffle....the answers are all there......

mjh116 likes this.

That little guy's probably not thinking about a thing except whackin' that ball. Wouldn't mind having that flexibility once again but I have a better chance of dating Kate Upton than having that again.
    faux_maestro likes this.

Page 1 of 10 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information