Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Robbierob99
  • 1 Post By welshdentist

Thread: Indoor putting question

  1. #1
    ZAP
    ZAP is offline
    Senior Member ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Indoor putting question

    I have a 4X14 putting mat in my game room and I have been spending a lot of time on my putting this winter. I was messing around the other day putting with my eyes closed after lining up. It seems to help me to stay more still during the stroke
    and I am thinking this might be a decent way to train myself.

    Thoughts?

    Disclaimer: the wind chill here is supposed to be -30 tonight so give me some leeway if this sounds insane. I am really missing golf right now.
    The easiest way to slay a dragon is to run up to it and shove a spear in it's throat.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Don't stay too still. Brad Faxon says one of the top things he practiced on the putting green was NOT STAYING STILL, another was to practice not caring.

    I'm just the messenger.

    :-)
    faux_maestro and mjh116 like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mgranato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Interesting that you are feeling more still with eyes closed. Most of the balance and spacial awareness work I've seen done, the subject usually gets unstable with eyes closed... you can't hide talent! :-)

    Are you making the putts sans vision?
    "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly and bear considerable watching." ~ US Army Officer's Guide, 1894

  4. #4
    ZAP
    ZAP is offline
    Senior Member ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgranato View Post
    Interesting that you are feeling more still with eyes closed. Most of the balance and spacial awareness work I've seen done, the subject usually gets unstable with eyes closed... you can't hide talent! :-)

    Are you making the putts sans vision?
    I havent done any data but I seem to make just as many or more with my eyes closed.
    The easiest way to slay a dragon is to run up to it and shove a spear in it's throat.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    500

    Default

    If you're making more eyes closed, likely your eyes (and body) are following to see the result, I really like the "not caring" statement as if you don't care so much, you're less likely to follow too soon
    faux_maestro likes this.
    Golf is more about the journey than the destination

  6. #6
    ZAP
    ZAP is offline
    Senior Member ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welshdentist View Post
    If you're making more eyes closed, likely your eyes (and body) are following to see the result, I really like the "not caring" statement as if you don't care so much, you're less likely to follow too soon
    Hadn't really thought about that possibility. Thanks. Supposed to be -14 here tomorrow and if we don't have school I'll be spending a good bit of time on my putting once I finish the "honey-do" list.
    The easiest way to slay a dragon is to run up to it and shove a spear in it's throat.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Not sure what you're putting off/on but if you can put a little mark on the floor/green under the ball and let yourself see that before following to look it might help. Really good putters have still eyes through the ball (not looking with eyes or head/body) too soon
    Golf is more about the journey than the destination

  8. #8
    ZAP
    ZAP is offline
    Senior Member ZAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welshdentist View Post
    Not sure what you're putting off/on but if you can put a little mark on the floor/green under the ball and let yourself see that before following to look it might help. Really good putters have still eyes through the ball (not looking with eyes or head/body) too soon
    After some more testing I actually do make a higher percentage with my eyes closed.(I can't tell you how embarrassing this is) I think you hit the nail on the head with the still
    eyes deal. Going to work on the mark on the surface thing for a couple of weeks and re-test. Thanks.
    The easiest way to slay a dragon is to run up to it and shove a spear in it's throat.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12