Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Science of Smash (Alpha, Beta & Gamma Torques) April '15 Golf Digest Feature

Default The Science of Smash (Alpha, Beta & Gamma Torques) April '15 Golf Digest Feature

Official thread for my April 2015 feature story in Golf Digest. (link)
    tonyddog likes this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

I can not get this to open so I can read about the torque in the swing. I have read it before when the article came out but can not find it now.l

There's a video on Brian's Vimeo.
    Steve Nida

"All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

thank you

ok I have read everything and watched the video a number of times.

My question now is how do I hold the chest facing away from the target, until I get the arms into the proper position half way down?
    Last edited by jerry1967; 06-08-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    Brian Manzella likes this.

This video really cleared up the torque questions I had after reading the article. Thanks, really easy to understand. Interesting watching Justin Rose practicing Beta torque before hitting shots at the memorial. He should have thought about that before he shanked the fairway bunker shot on 18!
    Brian Manzella likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry1967 View Post
    thank you

ok I have read everything and watched the video a number of times.

My question now is how do I hold the chest facing away from the target, until I get the arms into the proper position half way down?
    I do it by dropping the torso with a slight increase in knee bend. Hogan did it with a slight increase in waist bend, which hurts my lower back.
    Last edited by mp29; 06-09-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Content

Quote Originally Posted by mp29 View Post
    I do it by dropping the torso with a slight increase in knee bend. Hogan did it with a slight increase in waist bend, which hurts my lower back.
    Isn't it that Hogan did it by turning his hips while keeping on pushing the club back on top? Got him to left arm parallel, Alpha torque still intact, Beta torque negatived, Gamma torqued positived, club lays off, returning to forward bend with right side bend, and left side extension starting. Studied him for years.

Quote Originally Posted by zachgolf View Post
    Isn't it that Hogan did it by turning his hips while keeping on pushing the club back on top? Got him to left arm parallel, Alpha torque still intact, Beta torque negatived, Gamma torqued positived, club lays off, returning to forward bend with right side bend, and left side extension starting. Studied him for years.
    I see his head dropping but not his hips during the lateral shift from the top, before the hips turn, resulting in the arm drop. But you've been looking at Hogan a lot longer than I have!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information