Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mp29

Thread: Head / Neck Angle at Address

Default Head / Neck Angle at Address

Brian,

What are your thoughts on head position at address? Head "up" - neck in line with spine (Adam Scott, Billy Horschel, et al) or head more down (rounded shoulders) (Snead, Nicklaus, et al)?

For myself, I seem to be more effective with the head down and tilted slightly back (like I am trying to look under the back of the ball instead of looking down on top of it. I am in better balance (which at my age of 72 ain't all that great) and seem to make a more athletic swing with the relaxed, rounded shoulder, head down and back. Trying to maintain a "straight spine" head up posture seems to be too stiff and unnatural.

Thanks for your thoughts. Managed to shoot my age (par 71) for the 1st time yesterday but have been struggling with my game most of the year so far.

Bruce

Rounded shoulders for me.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Thanks Brian

Ben Doyle used to yell, "His face, I can see his face!", when a student's neck angle was too upright.
    Brian Manzella likes this.

Geoff Dickson always yells "Holy Cow he shot his age…he shot his age". Awesome effort Bruce.

Golf is a rounded shoulders game.....too straight an upper back is so prevalent, TPI has a name for the folks that does it with the butt way too "stuck out."

They call it S posture.

And, it isn't good.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Thanks Geoff.

Thread Information