Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian Manzella

Thread: How to fix a Pull/Push Player

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    139

    Default How to fix a Pull/Push Player

    Background/Issue:
    Played a draw/hook for years. Over the past few seasons, ball flight has been straight-ish with misses being either pulls or pushes (with all clubs): which I understand likely points to face control issues. I also seem to hit the ball low on the face and in the heel of the driver

    Observation:
    I was recently on Trackman to test some drivers (I don't have the numbers but I will request them & post them if the fitter can send them) and had what I thought looked like a fairly consistent face to path relationship. To the best of my recollection the numbers generally looked like:

    - SS: 105 range
    - AoA: 1-3 up
    - Path: 4-6 right
    - Face: Closed 0.25-1

    I recognize these are fairly broad ranges for something so precise but wanted to give details that might be helpful. Throughout the session I hit predominantly pulls (not much curvature to my eye), which I think would be expected with that face/path relationship. I would then over-correct and block the next ball out to the right. Indicative of an ability to change/control the face?

    Question:
    Given the numbers above, would you tend to focus more on opening the face to the path? Or reducing the rightward skew of the path? And given your preferred approach (path or face), what specifically would you work on? Drills, swing thoughts, etc.?

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

    Joe

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cherokee Nation
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Ok, new here but it since no answers, here's something Ben Doyle drilled into me one day - hit the inside aft corner of the ball. If you do that, you cannot pull it.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    14,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeGolf37 View Post
    Background/Issue:
    Played a draw/hook for years. Over the past few seasons, ball flight has been straight-ish with misses being either pulls or pushes (with all clubs): which I understand likely points to face control issues. I also seem to hit the ball low on the face and in the heel of the driver

    Observation:
    I was recently on Trackman to test some drivers (I don't have the numbers but I will request them & post them if the fitter can send them) and had what I thought looked like a fairly consistent face to path relationship. To the best of my recollection the numbers generally looked like:
    - SS: 105 range- AoA: 1-3 up- Path: 4-6 right- Face: Closed 0.25-1

    I recognize these are fairly broad ranges for something so precise but wanted to give details that might be helpful. Throughout the session I hit predominantly pulls (not much curvature to my eye), which I think would be expected with that face/path relationship. I would then over-correct and block the next ball out to the right. Indicative of an ability to change/control the face?

    Question:
    Given the numbers above, would you tend to focus more on opening the face to the path? Or reducing the rightward skew of the path? And given your preferred approach (path or face), what specifically would you work on? Drills, swing thoughts, etc.?

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

    Joe
    Here is the deal....your path simply moves too far to the right sometimes. I would start to swing further left by getting into the position I wanted to be through the balls and working backwards.

    The so-called Joe Durant drill.


    I'll post up a video.

    Quote Originally Posted by mp29 View Post
    Ok, new here but it since no answers, here's something Ben Doyle drilled into me one day - hit the inside aft corner of the ball. If you do that, you cannot pull it.
    But you can hook it—a lot.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

    Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cherokee Nation
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Brian, do you see overdrawing from the inside resulting from rotating the left wrist through impact? Can it happen if you don't full roll the left wrist?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    14,793

    Default

    If you swing 4 degrees inside out (the most I like to see), you are pretty much slick. If you swing 6 or 8 or 10 degrees inside out and you even twitch your torso and pelvis not open enough—fore! left.
    mp29 likes this.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

    Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Manzella View Post
    I would start to swing further left by getting into the position I wanted to be through the balls and working backwards.

    The so-called Joe Durant drill.
    Every time I try to pose I tend to keep the club too open for too long. I'm interested in hearing a little more about this drill.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12