Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nachosgrande

Thread: Stall flip hooker here. Which video should I start with?

Default Stall flip hooker here. Which video should I start with?

Sorry to clutter the board, but I was hoping someone would point me to the best premium video to help me address my swing issues. I was always a yank the club way inside guy who had to try and synch everything up with the hands at impact. I could play well when my timing was right, but would get big pushes and smother hooks (mostly hooks) when things were off. Over the last year and a half I've worked very hard to get the club moving back and up on the takeaway, but I'm still struggling with the stall->late flip->hook pattern. With my irons I just aim for the right edge of the green and I'm able to get by with a draw by slinging it down-the-line, but my woods are hook city - at least half of my tee shots are unplayable - and it's making for some miserable golf. It's not atypical for me to have 4-5 birdies and 5-6 doubles on the same card.

Things I've tried:
    - "swinging left"
    - tourstriker training aid
    - hitting the ball with my right shoulder
    - dragging the back of the left hand through impact
    - aiming a foot in front of the ball (aiming point)
    - 9-to-3s
    - standing closer/further to/from the ball
    - ball forward/back

The only one that seemed to really lead to better ballstriking was aiming for a point in front of the ball, but then I just ended up hitting solid pulls with poor directional control. I do take the club back with a closed face, so I'm guessing that's adding to the problem. I feel like the key is I need to keep the hands in front of my body and get left - but easier said then done.

Anyhow, I'm interested in purchasing one of Brian's videos and was wondering where the best place to start was. Can anyone offer a recommendation? Never hook again? NHA 2.0? COFF? SOFF?

Thanks.

Building Blocks 2.0.
    Steve Nida

Thanks Trash. I'll check it out.

It's a good video to de-junk yourself.
    Steve Nida

I feel your pain Nachos, even down to the birdies and doubles. It's maddening. I have learned lots of things from all of the videos you referenced but still struggle with these issues. I recently started a thread on fixing a Pull/push player: How to fix a Pull/Push Player

The thing that has helped me the most in eliminating the hook is "carry" which is discussed in NHA 2.0. Whenever I snap one during the round I do the exaggerated Tiger/Kuchar "over the top" practice swing that helps me feel like I'm swinging more left.

I wish I had a more complete answer for you but I'm on the same journey. Good luck.

Thanks Woodbridge. I checked out your pull/push thread and it seems we have very similar issues. At this point, I'm certain it's more clubface than path. And I suspect that the culprit is the right hand hit instinct. Hogan wished for three right hands? Sometimes I wish I could cut this sucker off and play with my left hand and a stump.

I actually can get decently synched up on the range by working backwards from very short punch shots to full swings and then progressing to the longer clubs in the bag. End up with a nice repeatable soft draw or straight ball with the driver, but it takes awhile to get there, and i don't often have time to work on the range for an hour before playing. And even on my best days it still creeps up a couple of times per round and has me playing 3 off the tee. Point is, it's not engrained or repeatable under pressure.

I'll probably end up trying out a few of the videos. Never Hook Again sounds the most appealing because, honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be sad if my ball never curved left again in my life.

Good luck to you too.

Update: Ended up buying Confessions of a Former Flipper and Never Hook Again 2.0. Watched them both multiple times before attempting to implement their teachings. Worked on NHA over two range sessions, so maybe 200 balls total before heading out to Torrey Pines South this past Saturday. Got to the tee late and had no time to warm up so I ended up reverting to my old inside-to-out swing and hooked the ball like crazy for the first five holes. I thought I was bringing the club up and down the wall, but I guess I was still bringing it inside. Finally, on the sixth hole I made what felt like a ridiculously out and up backswing and then down the yellow brick road to the left and I flushed a beautiful power fade down the right side of the fairway that measured out at 291 yards on my gps. Basically a straight laser that softly fell 3-4 yards to the right. Made birdie and from that point on the driver was butter. Just aim at a spot in the left center of the fairway and I was in the short grass the rest of the day. Worked pretty well for the irons as well outside of a couple of cuts with the longer irons that got away from me to the right. Only clubs I really struggled with were my hybrids. Kept hitting low pulls with them and never really got them working. But I assume that should come with further practice.

Anyway, just wanted to thank Brian for this great pattern and for making golf enjoyable again!
    Brian Manzella likes this.

Thread Information