Default Transition at the top

I think I'm struggling with my transition at the top. Although I'm really trying to lead the with the legs then hips my replays show a cast and my whole body moving in front of the ball. While this seems fine for short clubs which I hit fine, with little lag but some shaft lean, I really struggle (unsurprisingly) with the longer clubs (4 iron upwards) in both strike, flight and distance. While my normal shot is straight/draw my bad shots are fat with longer irons or a huge push-fade with woods 70 yards right.

I've posted a DTL and Face on Video which I hope is appropriate. Any feedback welcome.

Danny

Second video

Based on the DTL video, it looks like a backswing/classic OTT issue to me. Arms and club seem way inside/behind the trunk early in the swing and you're forced to reroute OTT.

Also, in the caddie view video, take a look at where your right elbow is at 9 o'clock on the downswing.
    Last edited by nachosgrande; 06-26-2015 at 12:13 PM.

I've tried using the fiddle drill and whilst its certainly improved the lag, i don't have a DTL video to see how much or even if it has changed the path. I agree it's over the top, should I be thinking about a more straightaway backswing as this worries me about becoming too upright?

In order to do the fiddle drill I had to change me left hand grip to my thumb feels very stretched down the club otherwise I can't create the angle at the top. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    I agree it's over the top, should I be thinking about a more straightaway backswing as this worries me about becoming too upright?
    You'd benefit from going steep to shallow. Right now you're shallow to steep (hands immediate roll in and club goes up and down steeply in downswing). Work the right arm extensor action on the backswing and there is no way you end up too upright.

Quote Originally Posted by nachosgrande View Post
    You'd benefit from going steep to shallow. Right now you're shallow to steep (hands immediate roll in and club goes up and down steeply in downswing). Work the right arm extensor action on the backswing and there is no way you end up too upright.
    I'll try tomorrow at the range and post. I've got a face on video from today which shows the result of my fiddle drill and whilst I certainly create a much better angle at the top, I definitely give it away by about 8 o'clock. I've uploaded it to Vimeo but I need to wait 45 minutes before I can access it.

The effect of the fiddle drill certaily creates the angle but i cant hold it

You don't hold anything.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

Incorrect terminology, I meant sustain Brian.

I've made a video this morning which *felt* hugely different, but the camera doesn't lie and shows some progress but quite some distance to go to bring my downswing plane at or below the backswing. Will post it shortly.

Hopefully this doesn't look the same!

Thread Information