Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Backswing

Default Backswing

Which is preferable IYHO, a left hand/arm/shoulder dominated backswing, or a right h/a/s dominated backswing? And why?

There are people advocating right h/a/s dominated backswing with external rotation of right shoulder specifically. I disagree with this in the sense that the ext rot of right s dominates.

IMHO, left h/a/s should dominate because this will keep the shoulders back while you transition, especially if you use hips like Hogan taught. Tje more you keep left s back in transition, actively that is, the more you get into the slot. In fact I find this is the onlh way to get into the slot without losing power.

Thoughts? Let's have a meaningful discussion for once. At the end of the day, we're all guessing here, unless of course you've actually won on Tour.

Junior Member DerSchnupfTabakHalter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zachgolf View Post
    Which is preferable IYHO, a left hand/arm/shoulder dominated backswing, or a right h/a/s dominated backswing? And why?

Thoughts?
    I certainly feel a left a/s dominance in the backswing but definitely have right hand dominance in this movement. Left arm radius/extension, left shoulder turn under the chin but my dominant right hand feels wrist cock, club face conditions and shaft plane. In the downswing it's all right dominant for me.
    The learning process has 4 stages. golfers willing to learn can jump straight to stage 3, Conscious Competence. In this stage we have received reliable swing information which we totally trust and are prepared to practise with unwavering concentration until a skill has been learned sufficiently to be adopted in a subconscious manner, like driving a car or tying shoelaces. The golfer would then find himself playing the game in stage 4, Subconscious Competence

There are people advocating right h/a/s dominated backswing with external rotation of right shoulder specifically. I disagree with this in the sense that the ext rot of right s dominates.

IMHO, left h/a/s should dominate because this will keep the shoulders back while you transition, especially if you use hips like Hogan taught. Tje more you keep left s back in transition, actively that is, the more you get into the slot. In fact I find this is the onlh way to get into the slot without losing power.

Thoughts? Let's have a meaningful discussion for once. At the end of the day, we're all guessing here, unless of course you've actually won on Tour.
    You won't get a meaningful discussion here bud, cos you're about ten years behind the curve! Not many here are interested in that kind of basic sheet here.
    Some say his scrotum emits its own gravity field.

The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Can you make me one with everything?".

Quote Originally Posted by wulsy View Post
    You won't get a meaningful discussion here bud, cos you're about ten years behind the curve! Not many here are interested in that kind of basic sheet here.
    Why would such a discussion be described as a basic sheet. Surely simple fundamentals are the most important aspects of a 'carved in stone' golf swing?
    The learning process has 4 stages. golfers willing to learn can jump straight to stage 3, Conscious Competence. In this stage we have received reliable swing information which we totally trust and are prepared to practise with unwavering concentration until a skill has been learned sufficiently to be adopted in a subconscious manner, like driving a car or tying shoelaces. The golfer would then find himself playing the game in stage 4, Subconscious Competence

Quote Originally Posted by wulsy View Post
    What is it that make me behind the curve by 10 years?

"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless."

Kenny Powers
    I dream about life, so I'm living the dream.
    As a toddler he taught others to walk.
    He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

"Talent comes from sound fundamentals."

Evan Almighty

Bobby Jones and Jack Nicklaus both pushed the club back with the left arm and viewed the role of the right arm as completely passive on the backswing. I think they both won on Tour...

I asked this because there are teachers that teach a right hand dominated backswing, which is not only unnecessary but also damaging IMO.

This also relates very much to transition, which nobody even talks about.

One should make sure the right h/a/s moves/bends properly, but dominate the backswing? No way.

What should dominate is the left h/a/s for three reasons: (1) to make sure the left s/a/h is on plane always (ball-shoulder plane), (2) to build resistance against inside of right foot, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, (3) to keep the left s/a/h and club back during transition.

This is the only way to ensure you BOTH slot the club and develop/maintain torque between lower and upper body (for use after).

All of these are just IMPOSSIBLE with a right hand dominated backswing. All the right hand should do is hold on with 2 middle fingers, right elbow bend in and let right shoulder rotate externally. Actively externally rotating the right shoulder will get the club and left arm bounce off if your timing is off. Requires much more timing.

Apologies for putting forward just basic sheets...

Quote Originally Posted by magicmarker View Post
    "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless."

Kenny Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by DerSchnupfTabakHalter View Post
    "Talent comes from sound fundamentals."

Evan Almighty
    "Only talent can make can make a swing with no fundamentals work."

Austin Powers

"Talent plus sound fundamentals make legends."

Amor Powers

Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information