Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Maximum Golf

Default Maximum Golf

Do any of you remember this system? John Schlee taught this system, based on lessons he had from Ben Hogan. You set up open, with the weight left, with the hands very low(with a big #3 accumulator angle). He wanted you to feel as if you keep the #3 accumulator angle throughout the swing. He developed the system based on a drill that Ben Hogan had him do.

I know all about it.

He knew Hogan's secret, though.
    "All you have is the HUB PATH and the force and torque you apply to the club—that's the whole swing."

Brian Manzella is Golf Digest's 37th ranked teacher in the USA and is a three time Golf Magazine Top 100 Instructor.

I remember he had a training aid called "The Secret"... but I don't think that was actually Hogan's secret.

If Schlee's aid, "The Secret" is the same as Greg Norman's training aid, "The Secret", then it actually makes Hogan's secret impossible to execute. You have to have a cupped left wrist at the top in order to use Hogan's special move.

I think Norman bought the rights to Schlee's aid.

Mizuno and or Brianman... what actually is Hogan's Secret?

Hogan's secret was the TRANSITION from a cupped left wrist at the top to an arched left wrist at impact.

I saw John Schlee at a golf tournament in the early 70's...his woods were not traditional pear-shaped but in the form of a block..something similar to a 2x4....it was the oddest piece of equipment I've ever seen on a golf course (and I've seen the Pod)..

Were it not for Johnny Miller's final round 63 at Oakmont in 1973, Schlee would have been the US Open Champ. He was obsessed with the golf swing, as evidenced by duct taping his hands together in the Flying Wedges position before going to bed.

EdZ

I'd recommend an ace bandage, less painful to remove than duct tape.
    Copyright EdZ All Rights Reserved

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

"we have no friends, we have no enemies, we only have teachers"

Schlee was an odd duck, but Hogan took a liking to him non-the-less. He said that the ultimate physical secret Hogan gave to him was what he refer to as The World Class Move: "On the downswing, your right elbow and right hand drop down onto a narrower tighter power plane. The sole objective is to allow you to bring to maximum level the loading of your right hand, right wrist, right arm and right shoulder as deep into the swing as possible. It requires relaxed supple wrists and a light grip pressure. As you reach the top, start the left knee and hip level left, you allow what feels like a reverse loop with your hands. This move is magnified by a pulling back and down with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. The hands and arms then come straight down and the right elbow dives onto the front of the right hip with the right palm facing the sky, putting you on your power plane. Hogan called this laying off the club."

"Hogan asked me to make a back turn, then hold it at the top. From behind, he put his hand on the club and pulled it straight down behind my back about six inches."

Take it for what it is worth.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information