tracing straight plane line with the putter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been missing putts to the right. I put a laser on my putter shaft and found that I'm tracing a straightline going back, but that after impact it points out to the right. The problem is that when I do trace a straight line both back and through, I pull/hook the putt pretty severely.

Have I just learned to compensate with the blade alighnment to make up for swinging out to right field? If so, do I stick with tracing a line and just learn to "readjust" for that?

Tiger does a drill where he only putts with his right hand on the club. He does so to get a proper release. Try it with or without the laser. Assuming you have the laser pointed at the target and perpendicular to the blade, you should see a straight line the entire stroke.

I trace a plane line with my full swing, but when I tried it with my putter I just couldn't get it to work. There are some who can do it, so it may work for you. In the end, I went with more of a SBST-ish stroke. It's still got an arc to it, but a slighter one and it's worked for me for the most part.

3JACK

I've been missing putts to the right. I put a laser on my putter shaft and found that I'm tracing a straightline going back, but that after impact it points out to the right. The problem is that when I do trace a straight line both back and through, I pull/hook the putt pretty severely.

Have I just learned to compensate with the blade alighnment to make up for swinging out to right field? If so, do I stick with tracing a line and just learn to "readjust" for that?

c,
Your problem is that you do not have a set procedure to square your blade at impact, so you are trying to keep the blade square all through the stroke..
Unfortunately that involves rotational manupulation (forearms) which (I think) you don't need, and are presently overdoing or underdoing it ........

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The #1 Putting Problem—by far.

The motion you describe—pardon the pun—is the #1 mistake that golfers of all level make when putting.

They are ON PLANE going back, and then somewhere between the change-of-directions, and impact, the club "walks" off the plane toward the hole.

Steering.

You need to TRACE perfectly, and have the face open enough to make the putt.

You'll be WAY better off.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
c,
Your problem is that you do not have a set procedure to square your blade at impact, so you are trying to keep the blade square all through the stroke..

Procedure or no procedure, his clubface is CLOSED to his path, and CLOSED to his plane line.

Unfortunately that involves rotational manupulation (forearms) which (I think) you don't need, and are presently overdoing or underdoing it ........

No forearm rotation needed to have the clubface square to the plane.

And his MAY need to be OPEN to the plane.

That's counter-rotation, or maybe grip adjustment.

See?

Procedure or no procedure, his clubface is CLOSED to his path, and CLOSED to his plane line.

No forearm rotation needed to have the clubface square to the plane.

No dispute there Brian....

And his MAY need to be OPEN to the plane.

That's counter-rotation, or maybe grip adjustment.

See?

Yep, understand.....what about ball position?..If he takes the ball slightly further back, that would do it also?....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
what about ball position?..If he takes the ball slightly further back, that would do it also?....

Well, you would want it a bit PAST low point. Ideally.

This would require an open face to make the putt, or a square one and a slightly right aim, ala Tiger.

Status
Not open for further replies.