Loss of distance w/ driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody. I have been working on the confessions of a former flipper and NSA 2.0 and progress is going well. Hit 9 fairways and missed a couple by a few yards, which for me is a record, however, a funny thing has happened with my driver. While I can still hit my irons my usual distance ( 8 iron flies 158, 5 iron: 208), my driver is only going in the 250, 260 range, with exactly zero roll. Last time I was on a launch monitor ( with a different driver), my swing speed was 117mph. I know it could be an equipment issue ( my new driver is a Titleist 907 d2 8.5*, mitsubishi diamana 93x) but I think it may be 1. Hitting up on the ball 2. no lag/ club throwaway with driver 3. Shaft/ equipment problem. What are some drills to really mash the ball with my driver. Thanks in advance. Will

It sounds like you're spinning the ball too much, considering you're getting no roll. That equipment sounds like it should be able to keep the spin off for your swing speed, so you'll probably need to post a swing video for Brian and the guys to look at. Also, since you're in Louisville, you'd do well to schedule a session with Brian in person.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Driver Drills.

Hogan hit 50 drivers as hard as he could every day.

Trevino had an exact distance for his driver, and tried to do it.

Here's one I like:

Buy some wax and paper "Dixie" cups. Stuff 'em with an old sock.

On some "backyard" height grass, practice hitting the bootoms of the stuffed cups. Rememeber that the ball would be in front of the cup bottom, and impact would be slightly OPEN faced, and slightly on the inside-aft quadrant.

BAM!

It'll tell you a lot. Try for PERFECTLY square "mash."

Here's one I like:

On some "backyard" height grass, practice hitting the bootoms of the stuffed cups. Rememeber that the ball would be in front of the cup bottom, and impact would be slightly OPEN faced, and slightly on the inside-aft quadrant.

BAM!

So I get this staight; cups with socks, stand cup on grass, imagine ball on inside of cup bottom, slightly opened face hitting inside-aft qaudrant and when properly punished, the cup side that was hit should be mashed into a square? I will report back.

Here's one I like:

BAM!

Brian, so after you have mashed the cup, should the side farthest from the target be totally flat? I could tell were the leading edge of the driver mashed into the cup, about a quarter of an inch above the bottom of the cup, however, that side had totally caved in. The cup kind of sat up on the grass, not down in it, causing the quarter inch off hit. Is that the idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.