Reducing driver spin rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working with a fitter on equipment changes but wondered if anyone has any swing tips to reduce spin rate with driver.
Thanks

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Well ill start with the "swing issues" first:

1) Make sure your clubface isn't too open at impact, you will add unneccesary loft and thus make more spin
2) Make sure you aren't swinging too far left with a too open clubface because again, you will be adding additional loft and creating more spin
3) Make sure you are using an ascending blow into the ball by utilizing axis tilt, a very foward ball position (most people don't have it near far enough foward), and tee the ball with half the ball above the crown (minimum).

------------------------

If you are doing the above well, i'll move down to the club issues:

1) Make sure to be fitted for loft and face angle. Don't believe the loft stamped on the head. If it's a retail head, most likely it has between 1.25-2.00* of extra loft on the add.
2) Make sure you have a stiff and heavy enough shaft for your swing speed so that you are creating the proper impact alignments to create the right amount of spin.
3) Make sure you are playing a driver that is low spin, almost all "claim" to be these days but some spin much less than others. I won't go into a huge list of which is which but if you give me some choices i could tell you which are better.

Last, if you could give me your current launch numbers we could probably get All4Golf to respond and help as well. I'd also need to know your current driver config as well.

3) Make sure you are playing a driver that is low spin, almost all "claim" to be these days but some spin much less than others. I won't go into a huge list of which is which but if you give me some choices i could tell you which are better.
How does the Titleist 905R perform relative to the plethora of drivers available on the market nowadays? I'm using the 905R and can't be happier (maybe cuz I haven't tried anything better).

And please comment on the Nike drivers too.

Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Unfortunately the 905R and the Nike drivers (all of them from what i've known) tend to be higher spin than others that you can purchase.

I am using a 44.5" whup n' shaft, regular tour flex in a SMT 455 deep bore head 9 degree loft. cpm is 259. I have the ball teed high, played off left toe, and have an ascending path from the inside.

Well ill start with the "swing issues" first:

1) Make sure your clubface isn't too open at impact, you will add unneccesary loft and thus make more spin
2) Make sure you aren't swinging too far left with a too open clubface because again, you will be adding additional loft and creating more spin
3) Make sure you are using an ascending blow into the ball by utilizing axis tilt, a very foward ball position (most people don't have it near far enough foward), and tee the ball with half the ball above the crown (minimum).

------------------------

If you are doing the above well, i'll move down to the club issues:

1) Make sure to be fitted for loft and face angle. Don't believe the loft stamped on the head. If it's a retail head, most likely it has between 1.25-2.00* of extra loft on the add.
2) Make sure you have a stiff and heavy enough shaft for your swing speed so that you are creating the proper impact alignments to create the right amount of spin.

Last, if you could give me your current launch numbers we could probably get All4Golf to respond and help as well. I'd also need to know your current driver config as well.

Isn't it more important to get a driver with high ball speed?

You can tweak the spin with a shaft, yes?

(But is this as simple as it seems at first glance?)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, any thoughts on the Ping G10 driver and spin rates?

I have heard the G10 is pretty low spin but there are others that are lower (i'll post a list later) but i have no experience with the G10 and YMMV depending on your swing and what shaft/loft combo you use.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Isn't it more important to get a driver with high ball speed?

You can tweak the spin with a shaft, yes?

(But is this as simple as it seems at first glance?)

I'd sacrifice a few mph of ball speed for better launch conditions because i'll probably get more yardage out of the proper launch conditions.

Besides, almost all the drivers these days have very consistent ball speeds. you just have to demo a lot to find the "hottest" one. Also the more loft the lower the ballspeed will be.

Love my Hibore XL with UST V2 Shaft....

When I do get sloppy with my driver swing and hit an occasional slice, balls are usually still playable...meaning IN BOUNDS. This never happened with other drivers.

When I am swinging it well....GRIN!

How does the Titleist 905R perform relative to the plethora of drivers available on the market nowadays? I'm using the 905R and can't be happier (maybe cuz I haven't tried anything better).

And please comment on the Nike drivers too.

Thanks.

I wouldn't get that caught up in the head as much as I would a shaft. It's really amazing when you find a shaft that you can load and feel it unload :)

Lot's of 905's still out there on tour though, fwiw.

FWIW, I had a driver fitting last Saturday. I was put in a G-10 with the Ping shaft because I needed spin. Swing speed is only mid-90's, and without sufficient spin, I'm not going real far.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Driver head choice and loft rules over these two.

Exactly, shaft and ball choices are for fine tuning launch conditions. The COG placement of the head along with the loft you choose are the two dominant factors when it comes to spin.

Here's my quick list in no particular order which can all be bought at retail:

Hibore XL Tour
Hibore XL (with upgraded shaft)
Callaway FT5/FTI tour series and new FTI LCG models
Cobra L4V (with an upgraded shaft)
TM Burner TP Version 1*

I might be missing some but those are what jumps off the top of my head.

*For those who are curious, the V1 TP Burner was a limited retail release but then recalled because it launhed too low and spun too little for the golfing masses. However they are still floating around people's hands and you can get them from people who have tour sources.

JRJ

New
TP Version 1

says TP Burner Version 1 has a shorter score line near the toe...what is a score line? Is that just a groove?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
says TP Burner Version 1 has a shorter score line near the toe...what is a score line? Is that just a groove?

Yes, the grooves on the TP Burner by the toe, has a much shorter score line. Also it had a much flatter sole compared to the much more rounded one that is out now. do a search on the popular golf sites (other than this one of course :D) and you'll find pictures denoting the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.