Left Handed Frisbee Throw

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Many EDITs made...)

Brian has referred to it as maybe the best golf swing analogy. (or at least suggested it is a very very good one) Throwing clubs is a good one too while we're on it.

Anyhoo though...

I have been "imaginary left handed frisbee throwING" (EDIT: while stationary) and while yes, it was not for real (so do take this into account)...

(EDIT: I probably was looser/more golf-like than if I were actually throwing a frisb)

(EDIT: seems more pivot controlled and with less active straightening of the elbow bend in the release)

...I did notice some things:

-flat shoulder turn (EDIT: probably makes sense unless you are "slicing" one...or you shift to a more horizontal plane)

-hand path seems to be outside of what it COULD be (that is to say I COULD take it more inside but it does not seem natural)

-very much swinging (like a swing set) left arm from a loose left shoulder (EDIT: though I probably was looser/more golf-like than if I were actually throwing a frisb)

-very sharp very full (DEEP) turn of the right hip in the "backswing"...no/negligable slide

-hip turn increases (or still increasING) in transition?

-hip slide in "downswing" is very noticeable (and...cross-line?...) (EDIT: or curved-line)

-hand path transitions to the inside of my backswing...follows the hip bump?

-left arm pressed immensely across chest (EDIT: probably looser/more golf-like than if throwing a frisb)

-PIVOT throws left arm off chest very noticeably (EDIT: or at least would seem to lead as far as kinetic chain sequence goes)

-all in all the hand path (viewed from a bird's eye) looks somewhat like a little "Jesus fish" swimming to my right

-probably way more "Hoganish/Normanish/Trevinoish" than any real swing I have every made, for what it's worth (and I am not saying it is worth nothing either)​

I could probably expand more (foot action comes to mind) but I may be late for work as it is.

Questions:

Why? (maybe times about 100 if I get going)

How to apply to golf?​

Maybe we should video some left handed frisbee throws one day.

And someone also should get a (rage-inspired) club throw on cam as well. :)

Last edited:
Brian has referred to it as maybe the best golf swing analogy. (or at least suggested it is a very very good one) Throwing clubs is a good one too while we're on it.

Anyhoo though...

I have been "imaginary left handed frisbee throwING" and while yes, it was not for real (so do take this into account, as I have)...

...I did notice some things:

-flat shoulder turn (probably makes sense unless you are "slicing" one)

-hand path seems to be outside of what it COULD be (that is to say I COULD take it more inside but it does not seem natural)

-very much swinging (like a swing set) left arm from a loose left shoulder

-very sharp very full (DEEP) turn of the right hip in the "backswing"...no/negligable slide

-hip turn increases (or still increasING) in transition?

-hip slide in "downswing" is very noticeable (and...cross-line?...)

-hand path transitions to the inside of my backswing...following the hip bump?

-left arm pressed immensely across chest

-PIVOT throws left arm off chest very noticeably

-all in all the hand path (viewed from a bird's eye) looks somewhat like a little "Jesus fish" swimming to my right

-probably way more "Hoganish/Normanish/Trevinoish" than any real swing I have every made, for what it's worth (and I am not saying it is worth nothing either so take it easy)​

I could probably expand more (foot action comes to mind) but I may be late for work as it is.

Questions:

Why? (times about 100)

How to apply to golf?​

Maybe we should video some left handed frisbee throws one day.

And someone also should get a (rage-inspired) club throw on cam as well. :)

A TPI drill for juniors is to have them throw frisbees one in each hand in the direction of a target (pretty amazing to see what happens). I have done it with several juniors in golf camps and have started doing it with some adults. Not too suprising, the juniors seem to do it better.

for juniors is to have them throw frisbees one in each hand in the direction of a target (pretty amazing to see what happens). I have done it with several juniors in golf camps and have started doing it with some adults. Not too suprising, the juniors seem to do it better.

I used the frisbee drill last summer for my junior program and it was a lot of fun for me and to watch. I think the kids enjoyed it also. The 8 - 10year olds seemed to have the most fun. They started off with a right handed throw and then tried a left handed throw to a partner about 25 yards away.

Next year I am going to add a distance/accuracy contest for a prize at the end of the class time.

Matt

I used the frisbee drill last summer for my junior program and it was a lot of fun for me and to watch. I think the kids enjoyed it also. The 8 - 10year olds seemed to have the most fun. They started off with a right handed throw and then tried a left handed throw to a partner about 25 yards away.

Next year I am going to add a distance/accuracy contest for a prize at the end of the class time.

Matt

How do you have them do the right handed frisbee throw? Normal frisbee throw with right shoulder at target or in a regular throwing motion with left shoulder at the target?

The right handed throw is more of a warm up, fun activity for the kids.
To make it a less formal "golf like" fun activity I have the kids line up facing their partner, and I call off when the first toss is thrown. I try and have them throw at the same time for fun. The second throw is more golf oriented, look at your partner, throw to your partner sort of thing, and with each throw I add more golf like stuff, distance, accuracy, high, low, etc..

I add holding the finish position so I can see the sole of the right shoe for the right handed kids. I don't put too much emphasis on golf swing mechanics other than throw and rest with the weight on the left heel and the sole of the right shoe facing me, viewing down the line.

Matt

Frisbee

Hi - first post
I'm a high level ultimate frisbee player, and interestingly throw left-handed and play golf right-handed. There are a lot of similarities between the forces generated in throwing a backhand and the golf swing.

- hips initiate the throw with a pivot backwards that rotates the shoulders, then arm movement then wrist snap
- power is primarily generated by snapping the wrist against the arm. there is very little follow through of the arm needed, more of a chain-snapping movement
- firing of core stomach muscles during the release to stablize the throw and generate extra power
- tilting of the shoulders (spine) for a long throw
- flat wrist at moment of release (= flat left wrist at impact in golf)

I can't find any decent footage of a frisbee huck (= long throw) to show, but there's a shot sequence on this link that shows someone with good throwing form
Clapham Ultimate: Meet Scando

I've only picked up golf the last couple of years and have wondered about improving my frisbee technique using golf swing mechanics. So far my frisbee-throws are so ingrained and feel-based that it's hard to deconstruct and try to implement new things but I may work on it. Plus in ultimate frisbee you have a marker trying to block your throws so have to adjust your release points in a split-second which is different from the golf swing

Hi - first post
I'm a high level ultimate frisbee player, and interestingly throw left-handed and play golf right-handed. There are a lot of similarities between the forces generated in throwing a backhand and the golf swing.

- hips initiate the throw with a pivot backwards that rotates the shoulders, then arm movement then wrist snap
- power is primarily generated by snapping the wrist against the arm. there is very little follow through of the arm needed, more of a chain-snapping movement
- firing of core stomach muscles during the release to stablize the throw and generate extra power
- tilting of the shoulders (spine) for a long throw
- flat wrist at moment of release (= flat left wrist at impact in golf)

I can't find any decent footage of a frisbee huck (= long throw) to show, but there's a shot sequence on this link that shows someone with good throwing form
Clapham Ultimate: Meet Scando

I've only picked up golf the last couple of years and have wondered about improving my frisbee technique using golf swing mechanics. So far my frisbee-throws are so ingrained and feel-based that it's hard to deconstruct and try to implement new things but I may work on it. Plus in ultimate frisbee you have a marker trying to block your throws so have to adjust your release points in a split-second which is different from the golf swing

Cool. Thanks for that gavigan.

You should post your golf swing!

And frisbee toss!!

ZAP

New
Ultimate frisbee is great fun. I just never thought about using the frisbee technique for my golf swing. I guess when I get done working through Soft Draw I can decide if I want to try thinking about it.

Originally Posted by gavigan
Hi - first post

Try this experiment: Take your golf set up position with a frisbee in your left hand and try and throw it to a specific target very far away at least 50 yards while trying to turn your body all the way to a golf like finish position. Then try a throw while focusing on snapping your kinetic chain (hips, shoulders, arm, hand etc. which motion was more accurate? This is from Brian's info on this site, NOT my info. Thanks BManz.

My frisbee golf game has gotten WAY better!!

Matt

Does this make anyone else really want to throw a frisbee? I want to throw clubs all the time. Throwing a frisbee sounds more fun.

Ultimate frisbee is great fun. I just never thought about using the frisbee technique for my golf swing. I guess when I get done working through Soft Draw I can decide if I want to try thinking about it.

It is very fun...

!

Try this experiment: Take your golf set up position with a frisbee in your left hand and try and throw it to a specific target very far away at least 50 yards while trying to turn your body all the way to a golf like finish position. Then try a throw while focusing on snapping your kinetic chain (hips, shoulders, arm, hand etc. which motion was more accurate? This is from Brian's info on this site, NOT my info. Thanks BManz.

My frisbee golf game has gotten WAY better!!

Matt

Gavigan did say that there's no need to go to any kind of full finish. Just a quick flick of the wrist. (the last part of the kinetic chain)

Energy expended abruptly and at the right moment- no force left to take you to full finish.

I think you probably are apt to have MORE of a finish if you were trying to finesse one. (LESS speed)

Last edited:
Frisbee throw

Here we go

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNOBwgN1iP0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNOBwgN1iP0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm throwing this hard, pretty much as far as I can, and with slight inside-out (=fade) flight path. I set up with my feet perpendicular to the target line but this is due to the way the game is played rather than this being the most powerful or accurate way to throw. It's so long since I threw with my feet down the target line that it would take a while to get it right. The left-wrist angle, snap, and arm movement is very similar to golf don't you think? Oh - and there's more follow-through than I thought, but less 'backswing'.

westy

New
Frizzzzzzzz....

If none of you poor people have ever played frizbee golf, you should all stop computing right now and get outside and get some fresh air.
Its a great game, you play it in a park or a light forest, or anywhere where interesting terrain exists.. or there is probably a course near you...! If not you can build one with your imagination easily, using trees, lightstands, bollards, wall and other objects as holes, stumps and elevated things for tee boxes etc.... Building courses is half the fun... free green fees....
Warning though, you can hurt your elbows and shoulders in the search for more yardage....
check it out... Disc Golf in Queenstown, New Zealand.
:):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.