Strong Grip and Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does having a strong grip such as Boo, David Duval or Azinger help to promote more shaft lean at impact? It seems to me that the players with stronger grips tend to have more lag.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The left wrist being more geometrically flat at the end and through impact gives the appearance of more accumulator lag.

The flatter the wrist at the top or end the less accumulator lag look to begin the downswing. The more you bow the left wrist, the less it is able to cock.

One of the best ways to see who has a lot of lag is to look at the halfway down position in the downswing.....how "packed in" are they?

Does having a strong grip such as Boo, David Duval or Azinger help to promote more shaft lean at impact? It seems to me that the players with stronger grips tend to have more lag.

a strong grip can give you more forward lean. and usually does. if you have a neutral/weak grip you can arch the left wrist to get the forward lean. with a stronger grip you can uncock the left wrist to get the forward lean. you can uncock your wrist more than you can arch it (at least i cant and i have very flexible wrists)

The more you bow the left wrist, the less it is able to cock.

Don't quite agree with that GL....As far as I can see the cock is the same, BUT, the resultant angle of clubshaft to left forearm is less (less "lag" and more if the wrist is cupped)......

Tried the strong grip a la Boo Weekly today. I had much better compression and never hooked the ball. In general I was about a half a club longer and almost dead straight. I felt as though I never had to add with the hands but could just hit with the pivot. Pretty sweet!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Tried the strong grip a la Boo Weekly today. I had much better compression and never hooked the ball. In general I was about a half a club longer and almost dead straight. I felt as though I never had to add with the hands but could just hit with the pivot. Pretty sweet!

I get the same thing on the range. Tough for me to trust it however.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You have to have certain physical attributes to use it. Also slightly limited as all three of those examples hit it extremely low.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
You have to have certain physical attributes to use it. Also slightly limited as all three of those examples hit it extremely low.

Why are some of the best ball strikers in history considered low ball hitters? Hogan hit it low, Duval hit it low, Boo hits it low

Yet they are considered among the best ball strikers of their generation. I know that to get to a lot of tucked pins and such it is nice to have a high ball flight that stops on a dime....ala Phil Mickelson, but its funny that no one raves at his ball striking skills.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Why are some of the best ball strikers in history considered low ball hitters? Hogan hit it low, Duval hit it low, Boo hits it low

Yet they are considered among the best ball strikers of their generation. I know that to get to a lot of tucked pins and such it is nice to have a high ball flight that stops on a dime....ala Phil Mickelson, but its funny that no one raves at his ball striking skills.

I agree. Nicklaus said onetime something to the effect that anybody could hit it low.

Strong Grip!!

I have a swing file of Ryan Palmer and his grip is MEGA strong. He generates a lot of lag also. I watched him hit balls a few years ago and I don't remember his ball flight being particularly low.

Here is a screen shot from my Cswing program:

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8230255

If I try a grip this strong I hook everything left of Ted Kennedy.

Last edited:
Does it make any sense that a lot of really long hitters use a grip such as 10-2-F as opposed to 10-2-D as discribed in TGM? What is the benefit to having the hands rolled to the right?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Strong Grips

When I teach, my goal is the make the ball fly either slightly right to left, slightly left to right, or straight. I engineer the proper trajectory, and ALL of my students are long for their strength.

I am also thought of as a "Neutral Only" grip teacher, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Grip it as strong as you want. I'll try some things, and we'll settle on a grip.

Just "Make the club work like a club."​

Why do strong grips seem to be what long hitters are using?

The HARDER you load the shaft, the more the face opens.

The HARDER you pull with your pivot, the harder it is to square up the face.

The MORE IN THE FINGERS you grip it, the more wrist cock you can get, but the harder it is to square up the face.

Got it?

Experiment with all sorts of grips, and use the one that works.

The MORE IN THE FINGERS you grip it, the more wrist cock you can get, but the harder it is to square up the face.

Can you elaborate on this? I remember making this change (from fingers to across the heel pad) a long time ago and I still think it's harder w/ the "Manzella Neutral." Long term, decidedly better for club face control though.

When I teach, my goal is the make the ball fly either slightly right to left, slightly left to right, or straight. I engineer the proper trajectory, and ALL of my students are long for their strength.

I am also thought of as a "Neutral Only" grip teacher, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Grip it as strong as you want. I'll try some things, and we'll settle on a grip.

Got it?

Thanks Brian!

That is the Best explanation of the grip and function that I have ever heard and it makes sense.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Got it?

Brian, for me personally, this might be the best post from you ever. Although i had some unreal ballstriking days with a neutralish grip and a full turning of the face, I just cant seem to stop loading the club with my hands and pivot and my grip is always in the fingers. This combo makes it very hard to square the face with a neutral grip.

I went out and tried a strong grip (10-2-F) this afternoon. I have always stressed the shaft at the start of the downswing making it hard to sustain the lag. However when I pivoted harder the ball flight just got straighter as long as I didn't swing too far to right field. I think this could really work for me since the club is working more like a club should.

well guys this is my first post or post reply, however i think the when the ball goes left as a result of a strong grip. players learn to hit it later.
thanks tim

Status
Not open for further replies.