Open Face Drivers: Who,how and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,
What is the real deal on Open Face Drivers? Applying Manzella Neutral and Manzella SD 1.0 Slightly Strong gripping procedure, what results would appear in using a 2 degree open face driver? Is this more orthodox to build an open face into your Driver. Why do Touring Professionals use them? How does it help or hurt?
Thanks,
Rick

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tour.

What is the real deal on Open Face Drivers?

Most good players fight the hook.

Most tour players do as well.

Most tour players swing too much from the inside, and you need about a 3 or 4° open face at impact to hit the fairway with a 5 or 6° inside-out path.

So...TOUR Drivers are usually open. Up to 6°.

Applying Manzella Neutral and Manzella SD 1.0 Slightly Strong gripping procedure, what results would appear in using a 2 degree open face driver?

It would probably work fine if there is enough ACTUAL LOFT for your swing speed.

Is this more orthodox to build an open face into your Driver. Why do Touring Professionals use them? How does it help or hurt?

I would recommend whatever face angle worked best for you. This is what REAL clubfitting is all about.

Vijay Singh's driver is 7* open, or atleast it was before he made some swing changes. I have a 2* open driver and you can sort of tell, but I can't imagine 7* open at address.

I found this thread from a few years ago....

I'm a 2 way miss guy (push and hook) but feel like if I had an open face driver that it might help me straighten things out. I realize that it will make my pushes worse but I'm a bit of a closed face player and think having a built-in open face would help.

Any thoughts?!?

I have a hard time finding a good club fitter, anybody recommend a good place to go that knows what they are doing? I'm located in Kentucky.

Last edited:
What (if any) difference is there between having the "open-ness" built into the driver versus manually opening the face a tick at address? Assuming you could open it the same amount fairly consistently on you own.

Status
Not open for further replies.