Flat Wrist and Takeaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a lefty and tend to slice. I have NSA and "Flipper". In an attempt to improve my swing I tried flattening my right wrist during the takeaway. This seemed to allow me to take a more complete backswing and to effect a left hip pivot. When I don't flatten my wrist (via twistaway) I find that I can't make a good backswing nor can I effect a left hip pivot. The bent right wrist seems to lnhibit these motions.

Is this a valid observation? Is there an explanation for the apparent inhibitory effect on the full backswing and hip pivot. When I achieved a more complete backswing/pivot the shot straightened out and went farther.

I was thinking about this the other night and I figure that a twistaway type move will tend to flatten a swing and a pivot (I assume you allude to a sharper hip turn with your "left hip pivot"?) vs. a cupped left wrist in the backswing. Tend to.

Same deal with making you swing more to the right in the downswing with a twistaway clubface control.

it would be easier..to twist with your left hand hand....as oppose to twist it with your right hand. I think alot of people try to flatten their wrist on top with their right hand because you see your right hand..and not your left hand. If your just bend your left wrist your right wrist would be flat...and it's really easy to hit the ball compare to try to flatten your right wrist at the top.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
it would be easier..to twist with your right hand....as oppose to twist it with your left hand. I think alot of people try to flatten their wrist on top with their left hand because you see your left hand..and not your right hand. If your just bend your right wrist your left wrist would be flat...and it's really easy to hit the ball compare to try to flatten your left wrist at the top.

Reverse this statement for the lefty who's posting :)

I've been away for a couple of weeks, so. sorry for the lack of a prompt response. Yes, the bent left wrist does the trick for me, rather than the focus on the right wrist. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Three words that should be in instructors vocabulary...

"Its kinda like...."

'Its kinda like' holding a sweeping brush and sweeping it back along an uphill slope (or more technically a perpendicular plane to the inclined plane - or what I term the reverse plane).

Now for more indepth....

Make sure you keep the hands vertical to the plane for the period of initial acceleration but as the acceleration subsides allow the orbit of the clubhead travelling around the left wrist to create the wrist conditions of turned/either flat or bent dependant on release type you wish to create. I cannot overstate that the initial acceleration should not include turning the hands to the plane. Why anyone would want to add a spin to the force that starts their stroke, I do not know!

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The REAL imperatives !

how can one say that a flat left wrist is an imperative when there are pro flippers winning big monies

The only imperatives are a true path (the 3D path of the sweetspot) and true clubface (i.e. "Lie Ange tool") that are aligning for a D-plane ("Ball Flight") of your choosing, with enough power generated to have the ball travel far enough.

Period.

joec

New
D plane

The only imperatives are a true path (the 3D path of the sweetspot) and true clubface (i.e. "Lie Ange tool") that are aligning for a D-plane ("Ball Flight") of your choosing, with enough power generated to have the ball travel far enough.

Period.[/QU can you explain the D plane

Period.

Copy/paste.

(word doc)

how can one say that a flat left wrist is an imperative when there are pro flippers winning big monies

Do you mean that the leading wrist is bent at impact on a full shot, like driver?

Edit.

I found this from Brian on another thread:

You probably need to learn to hit the ball with a flat or arched left wrist at impact—and maintain that flat or arched wrist—at some point in your development.

After that....you really don't want to do it to much unless it works for you.

I learn from my mistakes. I am a better teacher now than I was last week, and better than last year, and much better than three years ago.

You CAN NOT overlean the shaft and controls the clubface to path relationship unless you aim WAY LEFT.

A flip is simply another way to say, layback, in many ways.

Ben Curtis comes very close to a flip and probably DOES flip it on his poorer shots.

But, I don't know how many times I have to say that "compression" is a VERY misunderstood thing.

The ball really only knows SPEED, true PATH. true CLUBFACE, and contact point.

All that other stuff is VERY overrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.