Cupped Left Wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Brian is often an advocate for the flat left wrist, but all this talk about cupping like Hogan is quickly making a believer out of me.

When I think about the everyday applications of a natural wrist hinge (e.g. hammering a nail, or casting a fishing rod), I begin to wonder whether the flat left wrist isn't risky from an anatomical standpoint. When I cast a fishing rod (and I can sling that sucker out there pretty far) my wrist is cupped at the bounce of my hinge, not flat.

Now, I know what everyone is going to say: casting is a beginner move! I'm beginning to disagree. The golf swing IS a cast... a sidearm grounder to first with a fishing rod in your hand rather than a ball.

Even when the left wrist is kept flat at the top of the backswing, how is the right positioned (speaking in terms of a right handed player)? The right is cupped. Why should one wrist be cupped and the other flat? Imagine you are splitting firewood with an overhead swing of a heavy axe. At the top of the swing, both wrists are hinged in an anatomically correct, cupped position.

Am I making any sense here?

Guitar Hero

I know Brian is often an advocate for the flat left wrist, but all this talk about cupping like Hogan is quickly making a believer out of me.

When I think about the everyday applications of a natural wrist hinge (e.g. hammering a nail, or casting a fishing rod), I begin to wonder whether the flat left wrist isn't risky from an anatomical standpoint. When I cast a fishing rod (and I can sling that sucker out there pretty far) my wrist is cupped at the bounce of my hinge, not flat.

Now, I know what everyone is going to say: casting is a beginner move! I'm beginning to disagree. The golf swing IS a cast... a sidearm grounder to first with a fishing rod in your hand rather than a ball.

Even when the left wrist is kept flat at the top of the backswing, how is the right positioned (speaking in terms of a right handed player)? The right is cupped. Why should one wrist be cupped and the other flat? Imagine you are splitting firewood with an overhead swing of a heavy axe. At the top of the swing, both wrists are hinged in an anatomically correct, cupped position.

Am I making any sense here?

Top tour players have played with a bent left wrist at the top of the back swing (Hogan) and Top tour players have played with a flat left wrist at the top of the back swing (Lee Buck). Both work.

Top tour players have played with a bent left wrist at the top of the back swing (Hogan) and Top tour players have played with a flat left wrist at the top of the back swing (Lee Buck). Both work.

Hogan barely has a cup. This is a proper cupped left wrist:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Im hesitant to say it cuz I dont want to come across as a know it all (far from it), but i think Els has gotten some really stanky coaching over the years. No one has ever helped him improve his 1994 swing.

jimmyt

New
Im hesitant to say it cuz I dont want to come across as a know it all (far from it), but i think Els has gotten some really stanky coaching over the years. No one has ever helped him improve his 1994 swing.

Im not an instructor just an ERnie Els fan but I thought I may have been the only one to think the same thing.

I mean he is hitting the ball well and scoring but he is fidgetting around so much that it makes me uncomfortable.

Certainly not the same smooth BIG EASY......

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
IMO no one does a properly "visual flat" manzella style left wrist properly because they never put their left hand weak enough.

Els is really messing around with this isn't he? I think every time I see him his wrist at the top of his backswing is in various states of flatness/cupness.

While on the subject. Why would he have a cupped left wrist like in this video only to flatten it as he is coming down?

Status
Not open for further replies.