how to hit up on the ball with the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This works for me:

I always setup with the driver in the center of my stance, and I play with the ball position based on my ball flight. Soling the driver in the middle of my stance allows the club to bottom out before it reaches the ball, so all the downward motion is completed before the club face reaches the ball.

I went from a slicer to a guy that can send it pretty far with ok accuracy.

Because you will add launch angle AND SPIN...hitting up on a driver helps increase launch angle but REDUCE spin.

Just to clarify, Jim's statement is true assuming you don't add effective loft. It's even better, typically, if you can hit up while reducing effective loft by maintaining a forward leaning shaft at impact. I think this was discussed in another thread.

Of course, with slower swing speeds, you probably would need extra spin, so a higher-lofted driver isn't a bad idea.

Jay

Brian Manzella

Administrator
RULES.

For those who don't know already, here are some rules of this forum.

Many were broken in posts in this thread, so out the window they went.

1. No Advertising

2. No Baiting (Thinly veiled Advertising)

3. No discussion of other teachers (unless I make an exception). Discussion of methods are OK.

Thanks....

Back to this thread....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
How to hit "up" on a Driver.

1. Forward ball position

2. Set up "behind the ball."

3. Swing the arms from the shoulder sockets so the right shoulder is BACK AND DOWN at impact.

4. LOTS of axis tilt.

5. Inside-out Swing Plane Line (relative to the target).

5. Inside-out Swing Plane Line (relative to the target).

Would it have to be relative to the target? Could you not set up very open with your body (say 10 degrees), swing inside out relative to your body (same 10 degrees), and end up with the same "attack angle?"

Maybe this would be a way to swing upwards enough without needing to play a big draw?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great Question!

Would it have to be relative to the target?

Of course not.

But aiming your upper body in the direction you want to swing (PLANE LINE) is a pretty good idea.

In this case—hitting up on a driver—you'd better swing to the right or you are toast.

Could you not set up very open with your body (say 10 degrees), swing inside out relative to your body (same 10 degrees), and end up with the same "attack angle?"

No.

If you "swung straight" and "hit up" your strike would be outside-in.

Maybe this would be a way to swing upwards enough without needing to play a big draw?

If you aim/swing 5 degrees to the right, and you hit the ball with the club past low point and 5 degrees up, with a square clubface, you'd hit it dead straight.

Get it?

NO! But that's ok. I just want to play good golf. It would be nice to understand this stuff but I don't.

QUESTION: So what happens when you swing left (like for a fade)? thanks

A huge slice.

Unless you close the face lots (which will probably mean your loft is too low and result in a low, straight block left

Status
Not open for further replies.