Stupid question on lie angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOC

New
tongzilla,

Old stuff stated "Lies that are too flat produce shots that fly right of the target or dig the toe of the club into the turf; lies that are too upright will result in shots pulled left as the heel of the club digs into the ground."

But we are now approaching year 2010, golf facts are related to Technology...So, you might need superman, no, a Trackman...during a tour event at practice range, Jerry Kelly, from the data, it looked like there was a problem with his 6 iron...both the loft and lie were off by 0.5 degrees - even though that doesn't seem like much, TrackMan data helped reveal the underlying issue.

Don't know if we can find it in our small place....hey, that would be a great idea for the China market....

Pie

another question on lie angle:
i pull/draw most all my irons-even wedges. i prob tend to swing flat and underplane some. lie angle fitting would suggest me being roughly three degrees flat. so my question is do i flatten the clubs, or work with the swing first?
thanks

Depends.

Three degrees with irons is a big tweak. I would go two flatter and see how you feel. It will change the look of the irons to your eye and you will change your swing. You may be too shallow and out to right field to KEEP your shot from going left as a result of your gear....

It's pretty easy to tune your equipment these days if you are around a decent club repair guy. If you are somewhat skilled, tweak the gear first...

You may not have to mess with your swing afterwards.

Basically, the ie mark position alone will not tell all.

The shape and angle of the mark must be addressed otherwise the face angle is not being addressed.

Also the best fitters will not read a mark when the ball was hit prior to the lie board. This seems simple although it is not that easy for most amateurs.

???

I know toilets flush the other way down in Oz, but don't you mean the opposite:)

I could see your point with a wickedly steep OTT player, but I wouldn't sell him clubs until he fixed the face he already had...

Pieman, why is it either or? Why not do both? However, if you don't have the practice time, Certainly, after 30 years playing, I believe you will get better results quicker fitting your equipment around your swing, unless you have 20 hrs to practice every week!

If you have an pretty set-in swing path and face angle, then why try and change it, why not tweak the gear to straighten the flight out from whatever inherent problems you have from your swing path and face angle? You can literally go out the next day and hit more fairways and greens, immediately, thats a lot of practice required to alter a swing to achieve results like that.

Altering the overall clun weight, and swighweight, can have such quick results.

thanks billy and cmartin:
my backup set is actually set a few degrees flatter and it does give me a straighter shot. i will try a couple on my playing set and see what happens. even though it's a quick fix to change the lie angle back, i was just wondering how much difference the somewhat incorrect swing would make.

thanks billy and cmartin:
my backup set is actually set a few degrees flatter and it does give me a straighter shot. i will try a couple on my playing set and see what happens. even though it's a quick fix to change the lie angle back, i was just wondering how much difference the somewhat incorrect swing would make.

Don't think of it as a quick fix. You need to have the right tools to play your best golf. Great players can play good golf with crappy clubs. Crappy players need good clubs just to be less crappy!

I bet you if I pulled a short iron from a Tour Player's bag and bent it one degree either way, they would notice.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
???

I know toilets flush the other way down in Oz, but don't you mean the opposite:)

I could see your point with a wickedly steep OTT player, but I wouldn't sell him clubs until he fixed the face he already had...

Sorry guys I meant the other way around : ball first board second.

Fixing the face means teaching then more before you fit them, so I also agree.

Interestingly the face is also a huge contributer to backyard brother-in-law clubfitters misreading the lie marks and over fitting without teaching.

Depends.

Three degrees with irons is a big tweak. I would go two flatter and see how you feel. It will change the look of the irons to your eye and you will change your swing. You may be too shallow and out to right field to KEEP your shot from going left as a result of your gear....

It's pretty easy to tune your equipment these days if you are around a decent club repair guy. If you are somewhat skilled, tweak the gear first...

You may not have to mess with your swing afterwards.

The correlation between loft and lie angle is very important, too.

It is more important to have dialed-in lie angles on your short irons and wedges than it is on your longer irons. If you are pulling wedges, bend them flatter. It makes a huge difference in controlling the ball's starting direction.

The correlation between loft and lie angle is very important, too.

It is more important to have dialed-in lie angles on your short irons and wedges than it is on your longer irons. If you are pulling wedges, bend them flatter. It makes a huge difference in controlling the ball's starting direction.

Interesting post. (honestly)

Can you explain vj?

Status
Not open for further replies.