Trap Draw Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny Perry is the epitome of a trap draw player. Aims way right, stays behind the sweetspot and covers the snot out of it with his entire right side. Hasnt missed one right in ages....unless he wanted to.

I don't get it. Delivered loft, trajectory, have zero to do with it? Of course, I don't have the numbers for his #1 wood, but I saw him in Dublin this year and he hits a pretty high tee ball. I guess when I think about trapping the ball I think trajectory. How does Kenny "trap it" and still launch it? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Z

Zztop

I do okay for a newbie. If you weren't so busy trying to stir up some crapola, you might learn something too

I'm learning all the time, i read all your posts and try a lot of the advice you give and it has helped me. Someone else thought i was making a smart ass comment but they are wrong, it all depends on how you take it.

Sometimes you need to stir the pot, nothing personal.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't get it. Delivered loft, trajectory, have zero to do with it? Of course, I don't have the numbers for his #1 wood, but I saw him in Dublin this year and he hits a pretty high tee ball. I guess when I think about trapping the ball I think trajectory. How does Kenny "trap it" and still launch it? What am I missing?

Ahh..what is your definition of "trap it"?

I think Kenny is what I would call a trap draw player. Closed clubface or as Brian would say "less open" at impact swinging right.

When I think of a trap draw, I think less of trajectory and more of is the face a little shut at impact, there by slightly delofting the club with a draw action. Granted it may be a little lower, but you can still hit it plenty high. And as Kenny has shown, plenty far.

I don't have the numbers for his #1 wood, but I saw him in Dublin this year and he hits a pretty high tee ball. I guess when I think about trapping the ball I think trajectory. How does Kenny "trap it" and still launch it? What am I missing?

hard to trap a driver

Nah, you can swing right with a closed clubface. It's a matter of degrees, swing too far right with a too closed clubface and you can hook. However, I can draw the ball fairly accurately with this kind of swing.

Not unlike Brian's. Aim more right, hold the twist, stay closed in the transition, tumble the clubhead toward the ball, then put the hands and right shoulder in my left pocket.

Otherwise known as the "never hit a pooof fade again" pattern.

here we go again...what's is the "tumble"?

Not unlike Brian's. Aim more right, hold the twist, stay closed in the transition, tumble the clubhead toward the ball, then put the hands and right shoulder in my left pocket.

Hi Kevin, was reading through some old posts and came across this trap draw pattern quote. Do you still use this? With all the recent trackman, D-plane and scientific research that has come out, would you change any components of this? Lastly, i find this to be rather natural to perform, and can hit it consistantly, but it limits me to left to right. Can this simple pattern be manipulated to hit a fade? Thanks in advance. Peter

This is very similar to my current pattern.

I am setup right but set the face square to where I want the ball to start.

Twistaway to the top

strong grip

dont know about tumble

but hands and right shoulder in left pocket is a very good "feel" description.

I get usually a straight shot or slight draw. its a very easy pattern and there is not alot of forearm rotation so you dont have to worry about squaring the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.