Trap Draw Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played with a guy at our club last night, he's about 5'6 160 lbs and flat our hit the ball a mile. 480 yd par four he cut the corner and went driver pitching wedge.

What was interesting was his preferred shot, he played what I would call a trap draw. He's set up with a closed clubface aimed right and swung right, ball would be a moderate ball flight and draw right back into the fairway. Played this shot from his driver to his sand wedge. He had a little bit of trouble though if he had to start the ball left off the box.

Not sure where this would fall on the Manzella Matrix, but it was interesting to watch. He plays to about a 4 handicap.

Guy had never had a lesson, I'm guessing 90% of pop instructors would try to change everything he did....

trapper

Just out of curiosity, how high does he take the club on the backswing? Above the turned shoulder plane?

Thanks

Channelback

I would say yes, slightly above the turned shoulder plane, and only took it to the top, not the finish. Kind of a JB Holmes looking takeaway.

Not very much wrist cock at the top and very shut face. He started with the face already closed and he had almost a twistaway type takeaway, he made darn sure the face did not open at all on the takeaway and then just shoved it straight right, ball would turn left.

It was certainly a unique motion, he also didn't have much of a roll release or horizontal hinge, I'm guessing with that shut of a face he couldn't roll it over or it would be fore left.

he played what I would call a trap draw. He's set up with a closed clubface aimed right and swung right, ball would be a moderate ball flight and draw right back into the fairway.

HOLY SMOKES!!! That's my swing that I "invented" at the range about a month ago. I bombed it almost dead straight to a little draw. I've NEVER hit the ball that far. I made a few posts and nobody really said anything about it. I had a strong left hand grip, closed the face and swung like hell. I'm a pretty small guy as well and I was carrying the ball 260-270. The flight was pretty high and there wasn't much roll. And then one day I lost it. Tried getting her back but just couldn't do it. I'LL NEVER FORGET HER, NEVER...

Swing defintely worked for this cat. He got quite a bit of roll though. I thought it was pretty interesting pattern, wasn't sure how it would hold up on hard greens though.

PS Was this just for his driver or all clubs? Mine was just the driver. Thanks

(I'm tempted to hit the range again and see if I can find her one last time)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The "Trap Draw" Pattern

Easy to assemble.

Just do the Never Slice Again 2 pattern, aim right, ball further ball, slightly stronger than neutral grip.

Pretty much what Tiger used to do when he hit his "Harmon Stinger."

Easy to assemble.

Just do the Never Slice Again 2 pattern, aim right, ball further ball, slightly stronger than neutral grip.

Pretty much what Tiger used to do when he hit his "Harmon Stinger."

Tiger Nsa? Really? With backswing twistaway as taught in Nsa?

With Flat shoulder turn? ('TGM Flat Shoulder Turn')

Can anyone explain why my ballflight wasn't low when I did this? It wasn't really high but higher than normal for my driver. Now when I try to duplicate this swing they all go pretty low and I can send it left 30 yards. Seems like I'm hitting it on the toe as well. I'd do anything to get this swing back with the driver. Thanks for any help.

I'm kind of a posture, set-up Nazi, but I'd start there. I always thought that you probably don't have enough room coming into the ball Curtis, thus the inconsistencies. I'd try to get my angles at address a little better, if need be. I'd look at the angles between the thighs and lower back first. Try to feel like your belly button is a little further from the ball..tush back more. Hard to say without video though.

A couple of things I noticed about the motion.

One he setup with the ball towards the toe. Face was slightly closed and he swung right as if he was trying to slide the face along the ball, there by making the ball spin left. Relatively low ball flight, always turning left.

Face stayed closed throughout the swing, if it opened at all, my guess is that you would push it straight right.

Had no roll of the arms into impact, almost an angled hinge with a closed clubface.

Pretty short compact swing and he did keep his hands in front all the way into impact. Once again, I'm guessing early release or flip would cause the ball to hook off the planet.

Everything at setup aligned to the right.

Brian's description of NSA aimed right is pretty dead on.

The guy said his miss was actually more often to the right if he pulled out of the shot and came a little over. He had to commit to swinging right.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
MY trap draw

Not unlike Brian's. Aim more right, hold the twist, stay closed in the transition, tumble the clubhead toward the ball, then put the hands and right shoulder in my left pocket.

Otherwise known as the "never hit a pooof fade again" pattern.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Would you guys consider Kenny Perry to be a trap draw player?

Kenny Perry is the epitome of a trap draw player. Aims way right, stays behind the sweetspot and covers the snot out of it with his entire right side. Hasnt missed one right in ages....unless he wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.