Pivot on short game shots question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the pivot stay the same for "basic" Manzella Matrix short game shots.

I've worked hard on my short game and feel I can produce a decent result a lot more often now.

Is the pivot the same for the 3 basic shots (leading edge/mid sole/rear edge) or does the weight at impact or basic body pivot vary.

I realise the arms and hands work differently but wonder if the pivot is different?

My current pivot for a short shot to no higher than hip high going back is what feels like to me a one inch bump of my tailbone to the left going back (to ahead of my neckbone) and leaving it there as I rotate back through.

Thanks Kevin, I have so much appreciation of what the pivot does and I have got it into my coconut that I can trace most of the problems in my game to a bad pivot even on the shortest shots.

I know my pivot is very poor, I have traced my short game problems and full game problems back to the fact that I have my tailbone moving toward the target early in my backswing and then moving the opposite way coming down. I can compensate to an extent in the full swing but short shots kill me. I thought I flipped, then overleaned and then realised I can hit it fact doing both due to my pivot.

With the pivot zeroed out I can hit perfect little chips and pitches in a true TGM sense and I am glad to of learned that shot/technique but I want to play golf and pivot too.

I am in desperate need of pivot help.

How do I make a good pivot?

Are their anyone who has some tailbone drills from the Manzella Nugget factory? Or any pivot drill factory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_9NJCfgIs

This is what I am talking about....shocking

Last edited:
I have re-read Brians perfect pivot article and I really struggle to to the clubshaft pivot test. The club shadow goes left straight away. I thought the tailbone should stay where it is or even more slightly right on the backswing, then go forward and stay ahead of the neck bone coming back down?

Burner

New
Sorry, You Tube default is private viewing only

All good now

There's lovely, look you! Thanks.

However, don't get drawn in to practising an abbreviated pivot - always follow through to a full finish.

Leslie King's "Front End Therapy" is an excellent drill that might help you in this respect.

I have re-read Brians perfect pivot article and I really struggle to to the clubshaft pivot test. The club shadow goes left straight away. I thought the tailbone should stay where it is or even more slightly right on the backswing, then go forward and stay ahead of the neck bone coming back down?

wd,
Think you'll find if your tailbone doesn't move to the right on your backswing, you will not transfer enough weight...

Seems to me that for short pitches and chips you don't need much weight transfer. There may be three different pivots (I don't know what they are), but for a short shot you don't want much back and forth weight transfer.

To me the weight should be mostly over the front foot and stay there. Pivot varies to change the length of the shot. Then you have the footwork thing that has to blend in for a smooth athletic move. Finally, all this where does the tailbone move stuff, could create paralysis by analysis. After all, most of the time pitches and chips are not done from a level lie. Adjustments must be made accordingly.

wd,
Think you'll find if your tailbone doesn't move to the right on your backswing, you will not transfer enough weight...

Thanks puttmad,

Exactly what I though. I'm no over analysing, just working out why I hit chips fat without flipping. The answer is in my pivot and on a short shot my tailbone would move LEFT swinging back from the ball then RIGHT through the shot, screwing up low point location.

The video was just to show what I thought was happening......

I'll keep on with Brian's pivot drill and make sure my tailbone doesn't move right coming through.

Thanks for the advice

:cool:

This is what I feel I should be like for a standard short pitch. Almost a staying central/moving left type feel....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75l92CNruw[/media]

Thanks puttmad,

Exactly what I though. I'm no over analysing, just working out why I hit chips fat without flipping. The answer is in my pivot and on a short shot my tailbone would move LEFT swinging back from the ball then RIGHT through the shot, screwing up low point location.

The video was just to show what I thought was happening......

I'll keep on with Brian's pivot drill and make sure my tailbone doesn't move right coming through.

Thanks for the advice

:cool:

wd,

You can cheat a bit on these short shots....:D

Just squash your left side (shoulder to hip, not shoulder to foot)) a little for the backswing and then squash your right side for the through swing (and swing through BTW, don't dolly it!...)...The wieght shift (if any) will take care of itself....

Check your swing center ( 7th cervical bone at the top of the spine)...keep it really steady (NO ups and downs)...that should cure your fats...

That last video, looks to me like a good motion. You mentioned fat chips earlier. No popout and a flat shoulder turn per Brian has really solved the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.