Swinging flat... can suck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swinging flat sucks. There I said it. Ok for me anyways...

Seriously though, I don't know why I've been pursuing it. Trying to swing more and more "flat and compact" is just killing my speed. My driver speed has progressively dropped from 110 to 92 in the last 3 years, with no improvement in accuracy or consistency. In fact, my consistency is completely gone. Sure I have days of brilliance, but most of the time I'm downright awful. I don't even want to go play right now. Feels like I'm becoming that range rat we all fear.

Fooling around yesterday with a few drills, it finally dawned on me that swinging tight and flat, for my lanky tall body type, especially my long torso, is just wrong. I started trying to figure out how to get athletic again with my swing by throwing sidearm right hand pitches with a whiffle ball, trying to maximize my speed and kinetic sequence. Now, when I do this, I don't take the right arm behind and around... I take it up and back, feeling a stretch in the chest that I can turn into a snap on the way down. Very much a drop and sling move.

Progressed to swinging a golf club right hand only and noticed the resulting backswing was much more vertical and far wider than I have been swinging. Added the left hand while preserving the right hand width, and man it feels incredible. Mirror checks reveal the arms are now above the shoulder plane, versus on or below it. There is so much more speed at the bottom just by the evidence of the "woosh" it's scary :eek:. The feel on the back swing is that my left foot, no, make that my entire body, almost gets lifted off the ground up and to the right because of the pull of the club up and away, then I can really crash the left foot on the downswing to get the club moving the other direction. Reminds me a lot of a baseball wind up, but I've never felt it like this with a golf club.

Couldn't get out today to hit golf balls (too many grad papers to write), but I can't wait to try. I worry about hooking it off the planet, but then again, that's not much different from what I worry about now.

Had to get this written down. Somebody remind me next time I start fooling with a flat swing to stop fooling around and remember that the point is to play golf, not golf swing.

Good kc.

Why'd you try to go flat?

If you dropped that much speed, for sure something is amiss. You can get it back easy, and it sounds like you're headed there.

You don't see Major League pitchers or batters with the r elbow tucked. Should say something about power generation, at least.

I tend to swing flat, and I spent two winters trying to get more upright (thought I should get closer to the TSP at the top, for some reason). I haven't even seen my own swing on video the last couple of years now, and have improved quite a bit since then. Instead, I'm just paying attention to ball flight, with the occasional launch monitor tune up.

Swinging flat ain't for everybody. Swinging upright ain't for everybody. Swinging upright for me is a death move.

3JACK

Swinging flat ain't for everybody. Swinging upright ain't for everybody. Swinging upright for me is a death move.

3JACK

There are different ways to have a flat swing, hands with pop out and roll of the forearms is not what I would want to have. Opposite of that would be Ricky Folwler.

I don't know about the change in clubhead speed - but I started looking at my swing on video at the start of the winter. I was flat on the way back (or pretty orthodox according to some methods) but I had a very hard time getting my follow through even close to my backswing plane. That, my north-by-northeast divots and my perma-hook convinced me that my backswing was too flat.

I made indoor practice swings with my backside against a wall through the winter, managed a range session a week and videoed a few practice sessions when I could get outside. I played my first round for 3 months at the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. De-hooked, I think.

Jwat

New
Birly, that de-hooking is from working on that early extension. Doing that has cured my Pull hook for good. I wish it was discussed more on the forum. Tpi says 95% of amateurs suffer from it while only 5% of tour pros do.

Birly, that de-hooking is from working on that early extension. Doing that has cured my Pull hook for good. I wish it was discussed more on the forum. Tpi says 95% of amateurs suffer from it while only 5% of tour pros do.

What causes early extension?

похудеть на

отмахивался. Ему казалось, что, познакомившись, он предаст память жены. Бар встретил капитана полутьмой, глаза не сразу привыкли к ней после
Альмия. Буквально только что ели, разве что попить какого соку. Садись, сказал отец, Рад тебя видеть. Ну, рассказывай, как живешь, как
Иногда сержант даже подумывал о самоубийстве, особенно в минуты отчаяния. Вчера он совершенно случайно натолкнулся на капитана Велларена неподалеку
убедились, что вы не желаете зла. Но остальные нам пока опасны. Когда выйдем хотя бы на общегалактический уровень, тогда и станем думать, что делать
на ушах, учителя и воспитатели обсуждали ужасную новость передачу детского дома под патронаж ордена Аарн. Они носились без толку, вскидывали руки и

Диета на 8 дней
Средиземноморская диета рецепты
Диета при трофической язве
Меню диеты 7
Кофейная диета для похудения

Леденцовая диета результаты
Какая диета при гастрите
Лечебная диета 1
Диета по группе крови форум
Водная диета форум

Питьевая диета результаты
Гестационный сахарный диабет диета
Диета при гипотиреозе щитовидной железы
Номера диет
Кофейно шоколадная диета

Диета 14
План диеты бесплатно
Диета л долиной
Диета при циррозе печени
Диета кима протасова продукты

Заменитель сахара для соблюдающих диету
Диета для сжигания жира
Фруктово ягодная диета
Диета при атеросклерозе нижних конечностей
Индивидуальная диета онлайн бесплатно

Диета брежневой
Самые ефективные диеты
Отличная диета для плоского живота
Медицинская диета для похудения
Диета с сельдереевым супом

Диета при кисте яичника
Диета для аллергиков
Диета после беременности
Диета при раке прямой кишки
Креветки диета

Диета для накачки пресса
Татьяна васильева диета
Критская диета примерное меню
Детская диета при панкреатите
Индивидуальная диета скачать

Недельная диета для похудения
Диета ласкина
Какие витамины пить при диете
Диета гинзбурга худеем правильно
Диета для роста груди

Диета ангела плюсы и минусы
Диета клиники мэло
Лечебная диета 5а
Результаты диеты
Диета для онкологических больных

Диета 3 дня 5 кг
Рацион кремлевской диеты
Какие бывают диеты
Диета новая
Диета по группе крове

Диета при псориазе
Диета д адамо
Психологический настрой на диету
Новейшие диеты для похудения
Безуглеводная диета

Диета при дивертикулезе кишечника
Супер диета на 2недели
Гречнево овощная диета
Диета после 18 00
Диета доктора ласкина

Трехдневная диета минус 5 кг
Гречневая диета для похудения
Кремлевская диета отзывы таблица
Диета минус 15кг
Диета при молочнице

Диета а д адо
Смертельная диета stop анорексия читать
Гречневая диета форум
Индивидуальная диета
Японская диета отзывы и результаты

Методы похудения диеты
Диета татьяны васильевой
Кремлевская диета отзывы похудевших
Диета доктора малахова
Срочная диета

Кремлевская диета на каждый день
Новая диета потрясшая москву
Диета похудеть на 20кг
Диета после 30
Диета на куриных грудках

Немецкая диета
Ветеринарная диета
Диета для зимы
Помогите скачать диета борменталь
Возможно ли похудеть без диет

Безуглеводная диета для мужчин
Радио диета ру
Китайская диета 13 дней
Диета при обострении холецистита
Питта диета

Шоколадная диета результаты
Овсянная каша диета
Какая диета самая эффективная
Китайская рисовая диета
Новая диета потрясшая москву

Продукты для белковой диеты
Диета при жирной коже лица
Мариманова диета
Диета при вирусном гепатите
Алкогольная диета

Желчь в желудке диета
Сбалансированная диета меню
Кефирно яблочная диета
Геркулесовая каша диета
Гречневая диета отзывы

Кремлевская диета на каждый день
Творожная диета и огурцы
Диета при мочекаменной болезни
Тощая диета результаты
Диета при гастрите и холецистите

I'd bet my bottom dollar that early extension in the downswing has very little to to with weak glues, abs or heavy balls for that matter:eek:

Its just poor technique, steep/outside planes probably more than anything else. And when you consider the old goat hump and the ground forces, extension is a move that has to be made a some point anyway.

I've been on these physical and mental courses (TPI, NLP etc) and I just think its all VERY overrated. I've been fit and now I'm not, and I play better now than at most times in my past. I've got weak glutes and abs, cos I'm enjoying my food at the moment and not enjoying the pain of training but I can still hit it pretty good. In fact when I was fit, I early extended MORE!

You might be right about the root cause - but early extension wasn't any part of what I was consciously working on. I've always come up out of my spine angle a bit on my backswing and back down into impact. I reach impact with the handle and shaft angle definitely raised. But I haven't worked on any of that. I can see the tendencies are still there, although I haven't really looked to see whether they're somewhat reduced now.

Would it make any difference that I wasn't trying to get rid of a pull-hook? Very much a push-hook, but one that was getting way out of hand.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

As someone who is certainly interested in your swing, please tell us more about how you went about this and the thought process to your change. Good to see those pull hooks gone.

What's classified as early? Anything before impact? My phone doesn't play flash so I couldn't watch their video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.