Spin Loft - Backspin - Attack Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we can call it whatever we want, but there is a stronger correlation and practical application for the angular differential along the plane ("3D Spin Loft"), since this is the number that would actually be involved in the function for the amount of spin generated.

I think Brian's statement (again, which I now agree with - too bad it's been removed) was something along the lines of, "a ball hit with a 20 deg face, -5 AoA, and zeroed out path/face will have more compression/less spin loft than a ball that's hit with the same vertical components (20 deg face and -5 AoA), but has a face aimed off the path (not zeroed-out/horizontal differential). Which makes sense because there is now a greater angular difference between the face and path.

More 3D (Vertical & Horizontal) differential = more spin loft = less compression.

If this (3D Spin Loft) is a new term, do I get to name it myself, like a new star or dinosaur? How about "Strong Loft?" :)

I understand that Trackman may name it one thing or another, but it's the concept (rather than the semantics) that I'm more interested in.

Last edited:
Additionally, if we imagine a shot with 0.0 vertical differential (ie. a vertical path/AoA of +5.0 degrees and a vertical face/dynamic loft of +5.0 degrees, but have different horizontal components, there will still be spin on the shot, caused by the horizontal differential. In this case, the 3D Spin Loft would be made up entirely of the horizontal differential since there is no vertical differential; so I think a term that combines the two is needed (if nobody else is with me in labelling the components as I've suggested).

Yeah, I get what you're saying, MJ. We should start by pushing TrackMan to institute the term "Clubface Differential" for the angle difference between Clubface and Path during impact. I suppose if you subtract this number from Spinloft, you can have your "3D Spinloft".

Status
Not open for further replies.