Back weight your club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of spending money on a grip, you can actually already backweight your existing clubs using aftermarket products. There are several companies (Balance Certified, Tour Lock Pro) with do-it-yourself kits. They sell a grip cutter to cut the grip cap off, and the weights and tools to slide the backweights into place. You don't have to remove or replace grips to do this.

hp12c

New
Hi

I have been reading about this new 'back weight' grip from Bocceri. Back weight your golf clubs with Secret Grip: New Stuff: Golf Digest

It's the first time I've heart about it. I guess it could make sense when you think about the coupling point. What are the experts saying about this?

Regards

ParHunter

Hey parhunter some guys showed up at my practice range selling the tour lock pro stuff and I tried their stuff and for me it made me slice and fade the ball could not draw or duck hook the ball or hit it straight for that matter. I also had them install differrent wieghts on my pw and same issue slice,fade no draw,hook or hit it straight so for me the backweight is a no go. But try it se what happens u may like it.

I had a Balanced Certified counterweight in a putter of mine, and liked the feel of it.

I'm sure that would be a great short topic for somebody at the next Anti Summit.

I have 30g tour lock pros in all my irons.But I also have lots of lead tape so they all swingweight at D6.
About 3 years ago I spent alot of time playing around with shafts, swing weights, MOI,back weighting, etc after completing the 3 Golfsmith clubmaking and clubfitting courses they do.
FWIW I found, and still do find, the extra static weight of the irons (about 50g per club) seems to make them swing smoother, almost as if the extra weight somehow makes the clubhead more stable in the swing.Much more feel with the heavier irons.
For 5,3 woods and driver I found just adding the weight in the butt made the ball go far too high, and with this bringing the swingweight down I didn't like the feel of the clubs.
Interestingly I did play around with adding different tour lock pros into the driver and also some weight on the head to bring the swingweight back to normal.Worked and felt pretty good, kind of like having a modern driver with the weight of an old persimmon.Truth be told I didn't find any benefit in the driver and woods, lost a fraction of distance, so I don't bother with back weighting in them.There was/is a noticable gain in feel and consistency with the irons though.

^agree with this.

My current set is formulated a bit differently, but I have frequently played around with increased gross weights. One of my favorite sets had swing weights in the D5-E2 range (woods included) and static weights of 16 oz (or greater). Lots of lead tape wrapped around the grip end of the shaft to get there.

Heavy, stiff, flat lies, never left.

Ok, I'm intrigued..

I can see the benefit of weighting either end exclusively...I would expect that more weight at the grip end could give more swing speed, at the expense of losing the feel of where the club head is during the swing. And vice versa for weighting the club head heavier, more awareness, less speed (potentially).

But why add extra weight both ends?

Wouldn't you just be messing with the shaft flex, mainly?

Ok, I'm intrigued..

I can see the benefit of weighting either end exclusively...I would expect that more weight at the grip end could give more swing speed, at the expense of losing the feel of where the club head is during the swing. And vice versa for weighting the club head heavier, more awareness, less speed (potentially).

But why add extra weight both ends?

Wouldn't you just be messing with the shaft flex, mainly?

I simply found through testing that weighting both ends gave the best results.I don't know why TBH, but there was a noticable difference in shot dispersion consistency and also feel.I also tested with 10g, 20g, 30, 50g and even a 75g weight in the different clubs and concluded 30g for each iron at d6 with Project X 6.5 shafts gave me personally the best results.It's a difficult thing to explain but the feeling of the clubs was/is that they feel like they kind of stay on plane easier and more consistently, almost automatically to an extent.Perhaps the extra weight makes the line up, in Brians vernacula, easier somehow from a physics perspective.
It was aot of fun doing the testing.I was surprised how much difference the different weight combinations made.
I'd definitely suggest you have a play around with the back weighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.