Dynamic Loft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help, what should the dynamic loft be for irons.
I have been training with TM and i hit my 6 iron the best when the dynamic loft is 19.

For a six iron, I think that 19* is pretty good, maybe 1-2* too high? Depends on your swing speed...I think the the PGA average is 16* and the LPGA average (perhaps more relevant for those of us without PGA swing speeds) is 19*. What is your launch angle and max ball flight numbers? Remember, that golf is what the ball does...

S

SteveT

Is 'dynamic' loft the same as 'launch' loft for Trackman and Flightscope? Just wondering...:confused:

The dynamic or effective loft of the club at the point of impact on the club face – calculated relative to vertical.

Correlations (primary) : Attack Angle, Vertical Launch Angle, Spin Rate

When hitting down on the ball, the dynamic loft will normally be less than the static loft of the club. As a rule of thumb the Dynamic Loft = Static Loft + Attack Angle + adjusted for the impact of the bended shaft (typical +2° for a driver)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Obviously, it is easier to de-loft the club if you are hitting down on it.

But, the whole "trick" to Tour QUality shots is to have more forward lean than downward angle of attack.

Now, there is this dichotomy—the more you hit down on, let's say, an iron—the easier it is to hit to higher on the face.

If you hit it higher on the face, you won't get as much vertical gear effect.

Less downward vertical gear effect, the higher the dynamic loft.

Dynamic Loft is the EFFECTIVE LOFT of the impact point of the clubface, mid impact interval.

I have been wondering about how much delofting good players (let's say for players with barely enough clubhead speed to play "big boy golf") do across a set of irons, particularly as I am realizing I just don't have enough lean on wedges.

So if a 6-iron has 31 degrees of loft and good players have 16-19 degrees of dynamic loft, a good player is typically delofting (all from forward lean or other factors as well?) 12-15 degrees with a six iron, what about with an 8-iron or stock 51 degree wedge - does amount of "delofting" remain relatively constant or vary in some other way?

Is the change needed for a playing needing to lower dynamic loft a little about just moving coupling point further towards target and maybe closer to golfer? And related question - how much does each degree of down change degree of forward lean needed to reach optimal dynamic loft?

Last edited:
niblick1 -

The amount one delofts a club has to vary because of the location of the center of gravity on the clubface and how irons are designed. It's easy to deloft a club with a lot of loft (ex. wedge) because the COG is much farther away from the leading edge than say the COG for a 3 iron which is much closer to the leading edge. If you deloft a low lofted club eventually you won't get enough loft to hit the ball in the air properly.

For a six iron, I think that 19* is pretty good, maybe 1-2* too high? Depends on your swing speed...I think the the PGA average is 16* and the LPGA average (perhaps more relevant for those of us without PGA swing speeds) is 19*. What is your launch angle and max ball flight numbers? Remember, that golf is what the ball does...

The Tour average (2009) launch angle for a 6 iron is 14.1. The average DL is only 2 degrees higher? Is there a chart out there that shows their DL across the set?

Club head speed 86.
Height 28 meters
I try to control my dynamic loft by the height of my shots.
The higher the club head speed the more you need to take the loft off.
The big problem i have is that when i try to take the loft off my attack angle starts to increase

leon

New
Brian -

Please explain downward and upward vertical gear effect.

I find it helps to decouple vertical gear effect from regular spin by imagining a shot with zero dynamic loft and zero attack angle - think croquet! This would give you no spin. Now its just like horizontal gear effect - if you then hit above the club CofG you'd get 'topspin' - i.e. downward gear effect, hit below the CofG and get backspin or upward gear effect.

For a regular shot with some amount of loft, the vertical gear effect just adds or reduces the total spin.

Does that help?

leon -

That helps, however, does vertical gear effect (hitting higher or lower than the COG) alter the dynamic loft and if so, how? If one hits above the COG does that cause the face to have more dynamic loft? If one hits lower than the COG, will that cause more dynamic loft?
How does this change, if at all, with an iron or a driver?

Am I getting the correct?

Obviously, it is easier to de-loft the club if you are hitting down on it.

But, the whole "trick" to Tour QUality shots is to have more forward lean than downward angle of attack.

Now, there is this dichotomy—the more you hit down on, let's say, an iron—the easier it is to hit to higher on the face.

If you hit it higher on the face, you won't get as much vertical gear effect.

Less downward vertical gear effect, the higher the dynamic loft.

Dynamic Loft is the EFFECTIVE LOFT of the impact point of the clubface, mid impact interval.

Pretty Stupid question here, but my brain needs some help with this one:

Would it be true then, all other things being equal, that if you hit it a "groove or two" low you would get MORE vertical gear effect therefore dynamic loft would be LOWER? (makes me think a proper club fitting should really focus on where the center of mass is in relation to where the player is making contact - vertically, not just heel/toe - on the face)

niblick1 -

The amount one delofts a club has to vary because of the location of the center of gravity on the clubface and how irons are designed. It's easy to deloft a club with a lot of loft (ex. wedge) because the COG is much farther away from the leading edge than say the COG for a 3 iron which is much closer to the leading edge. If you deloft a low lofted club eventually you won't get enough loft to hit the ball in the air properly.

Reason the old butter knife blades required so much speed to get into the air.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Let's do some quick math....

14.1° launch...about 70-75% ball launches toward the clubface normal with a mid-iron....3.9° average PGA Tour attack angle with a six iron.

16° DL + -3.9° downward = a divergence of 19.9°....multiply by .71 = 14.1°

Let's do some quick math....

14.1° launch...about 70-75% ball launches toward the clubface normal with a mid-iron....3.9° average PGA Tour attack angle with a six iron.

16° DL + -3.9° downward = a divergence of 19.9°....multiply by .71 = 14.1°

Does club head speed play much/any role?

Status
Not open for further replies.