Spin rate and spin loft confuson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to better understand spin rate and how to increase it for irons.

Spin loft is the difference between the dynamic loft of the club and the attack angle.

My 7-iron spin loft is 30* with a dynamic loft of 28* and -2*AoA producing a spin rate of 3500rpm. These numbers reasonably consistent across different shafts and different flexes.

To increase the spin rate, the spin loft needs to decrease. This is best achieved by decreasing the dynamic loft via increasing forward lean of shaft at impact.

Put alternatively, I fix my excessive high launch angle, and dynamic loft, can i expect an imporvement in spin rate?

What am I misunderstanding and what else do I need to know?

Last edited:
I want to better understand spin rate and how to increase it for irons.

To increase the spin rate, the spin loft needs to decrease. This is best achieved by decreasing the dynamic loft via increasing forward lean of shaft at impact.

Spinloft = Angle between club direction and club orientation.

1) max. Smashfactor with an CoG impact

~ (1 + cor) x (cos (SPIN LOFT) / (1 + (bal weight/ clubhead weight)))

2) Spin (rpm) ~ 2,3 à 3,0 * Club speed (mph) * Spin Loft (deg)

ZAP

New
I understand it as the difference between where the club is facing and the direction it is moving. In general the greater that difference the more spin. Sort of like a spinning shot in table tennis. However as I see it the greater that difference the more "glancing" the blow is. So where reducing spin is desired we should try to limit this difference like hitting up on the driver. It has also showed me why hitting WAY down on wedges is not all that necessary like I used to think.

Increasing the negative Attack Angle, by itself, does not provide more spin. BUT, hitting down a couple more degrees should allow you to reduce the amount of "debris" between the ball and clubface for better friction, which DOES create more spin. Make sure you know where the ball is impacting the face also.

That is a really low spin rate for a 7 iron. What is your clubhead speed and what kind of balls are measuring this?

7iron 85-86mph. Range balls. The pro was immediately concerned with the low numbers...suggesting to me that even for range balls, the spin rate was 'abnormally' low.

Kevin, I see what you are thinking...it is impossible to have a spin loft of 30* and get only 3500rpm with proper golf balls.

You meant to increase spin you need to INCREASE spin loft, and speed.....friction helps.

Yep, this is the part I appear to have back-to-front. Brian, you will recall our phone conversation a few weeks ago. I am having some success on getting the hands forward of ball at impact. It is not yet automated but I can consciously make the ball go lower. Given my dynamic loft and spin loft are already very high, and the forwards hands is about reducing my dynamic loft, how is this going to increase spin rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.