Understanding my 'big miss': flightscope data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was an interesting afternoon.

Hit it like a absolute chopper for about 45 minutes. Couldn't make good contact. Couldn;'t get cliubspeed above 80mph, about 1-2mph less than a good day.

Was trying to implement all the good advice above and was getting nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. A bad day.

And then the epiphany...and the world was instantly a better place. A 5mph jump in clubspeed and wait for it, no more inside out swing paths (or at least less frequent and or less magnitude)....and about an 700-800rpm increase in spin rate.

Below is some FS data from 15 swings. The first 5 are with the old swing (note that 4/5 are positive swing path). The remaining ten are with the new swing (note that 8/10 are negative swing path or next to zero and the two positive ones are less than 2*). The beauty of this is that I changed only one thing between 'Phase 1' and 'Phase 2'.

2nbhpxu.jpg

Below is a video of four swings: Swings 1-2 are old swing, Swings 3-4 are new swing. They are different swings from the FS data, so don't try and match them up. Please ignore stance, grip etc as i was not trying to implement any of the suggestions provided above.

P1050949 - YouTube

The swing change? Let me describe it in these terms: lift up your arms stupid; get your left arm straight up in the air; in addition to the wrist cock, you have to also left your arms; lift up your arms. You should be able to see my left arm get above my right shoulder at top of backswing in Swings 3-4.

The backswing now feels incredibly steep. It feels like i could now swing in a phone box.

I still have a lot to work on - flexibility included - but I think I now understand my big miss ALOT better.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Last edited:
Stance: aimed for arm hang, more upright position. In effect the hands get lower and closer to the body. A small amount of wrist cock is now evident at address. Here are three pics:
35jmjdj.jpg

Geoff,

I am not am imstructor but I think that your right shoulder is way too "slouchy". I do not see many good golfers with this condition. Retract and firm both shoulders and then your initiating shoulder move should provide a bit more "up" impetus. My $0.02.

Golfie

Last edited:
Not bad at all for a Kiwi. :)

The absolute beauty of having one of these LMs, especially for the guy doing it himself, is that you get instant thumbs up or down on what you're working on. It's so nice to experiment with new/different feels without worrying about ingraining something that's not beneficial or needs undoing down the road.

Getting the arms up enough is something I struggle with too... big guns be heavy. :rolleyes:

images

Geoff,

I am not am imstructor but I think that your right shoulder is way too "slouchy". I do not see many good golfers with this condition. Retract and firm both shoulders and then your initiating shoulder move should provide a bit more "up" impetus. My $0.02.

Golfie

I agree that I look way too slouched/rounded. I will work on getting my shoulder blades closer together.

Not bad at all for a Kiwi. :)

I'm actually much better than that. I am an Australian (who lives in NZ).

I agree that I look way too slouched/rounded. I will work on getting my shoulder blades closer together.

who cares how it looks? If the data is better i would not mind looking slouched/rounded. I can look like that even without holding a golfclub :p

Back to your data :
- shot 14 has weird spin value 1740 so maybe that shot should be deleted?

Without shot 14 and not taking the first 5 into account your clubhead speed is much higher (average 85.4) but the ball speed average is only 113.0mph. Giving an average smash of 1.32

In the old swing 80.9mph and 110.6mph making a smash of 1.37

So you only gained 2.4mph ball speed where you could have gained 6.2mph (1.37 * (113.0-110.6))! My conclusion would therefore be that ball contact is worse with this new movement......gained speed lost sweetspot control...

Last edited:
Wow Geoff, you must have done something really bad to get thrown out of Oz and sent to the land of sheep "fanciers". :)

Sometimes you zig when you should have zagged

So you only gained 2.4mph ball speed where you could have gained 6.2mph (1.37 * (113.0-110.6))! My conclusion would therefore be that ball contact is worse with this new movement......gained speed lost sweetspot control...

Frans..thanks for highlighting that. I knew intuitively/ and by feel that the new swing was 'unstable'/inconsistent. I think it represents a big change, so therefore needs time to 'dial it in'. The keys for me is that I got some (much needed) additional club speed, and also understand a key determinant of positive club path....those numbers come from the first 30min after the swing change...watch this space. You've highlighted that the best is yet to come.

Last edited:
....those numbers come from the first 30min after the swing change...watch this space. You've highlighted that the best is yet to come.

is there an option to post screenshots including all clubdata in one screen? It could help understanding which part has changed in relation to the old swing. Might be that the Dynamic loft was higher and changing that is the "only" (sic) thing to bring things back to normal...;)

Geoff, do you have the FS app for phone or tablet? IMO, those are the most complete screen shots as one in particular has all the ball and club info for each shot. The graphics for the app are also outstanding. I'd say 95% of my time is spent using the app software because I enjoy using that interface much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.