Understanding my 'big miss': flightscope data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a some FS data.

In an earlier session I had alot of 'inside-out' club path and 'closed' clubface. I decided to experiment with a weaker right hand and a (slightly) stronger left hand grip. The data you see below is an improvement but you will note that there are two big misses amongst the sample of 10 shots: shot 3 and shot 10. Both misses characterized by a clubface 'closed' relative to clubpath.

Does it make sense that this grip change lead to the improvement?
What else besides grip would underpin a miss like this?
What else should I be working on?

nqbxns.jpg

4kjr0i.jpg

m9yq20.jpg

107mfrr.jpg

icqyc6.jpg

Sooo... 80% of your shots are within a couple meters from being a dead straight line... how's your putting and chipping? :)

lia41985

Maybe work on getting those draws to not cross over the target line
I believe Mr. Dickson is looking for a how given the Flightscope information he's presented.

Perhaps losing forward bend a little earlier to shallow out AoA/shift HSP left...?

Applied like Tabasco, not salt.

Last edited:
Note...Santa ... please talk to geoffdickson about setup first.. thanks again!

My setup at address or my flightscope setup???

An increase in angle of attack?

What would you suggest is ideal for my swing speed etc ?

Sooo... 80% of your shots are within a couple meters from being a dead straight line... how's your putting and chipping? :)

Not as straight as I was hitting the 7-iron yesterday. But if you saw today's numbers.....

Maybe work on getting those draws to not cross over the target line

Yes that's an option, but I like hitting the straight ball. Nothing wrong with a draw so long as they all end up on the target line.

I believe Mr. Dickson is looking for a how given the Flightscope information he's presented.

Perhaps losing forward bend a little earlier to shallow out AoA/shift HSP left...?

Applied like Tabasco, not salt.

Yes I have a problem with early extension. Is that what you mean by losing forward bend?

This afternoon I had a consistent clubpath of +2* and for the life of me couldn't get it closer to zero. I had a break and went back out with new game plan. I went 'back to basics' which for me means a) taking the club straight back (with the add of a tee lying on the ground directly behind the ball) and b) a conscious effort to lift the club up during the takeaway (i.e. ensure that I have a wrist cock) to ensure that I get 'on plane' or at least don't wrap the club behind me.

The good news is that for the next 30 balls I had only four that had a clubpath outside the -1* to +1* range. Clubface was all over the place, but tomorrow afternoon is a chance to get that right.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Maybe you lose forward bend to shallow the club out late, which opens it up. That can make controlling it thru impact dicey.

I'd suggest posting a video Geoff. Call me sceptical, but I still think you need to see a swing to know what's going on.

I was specifically looking at the two shots recorded as "big misses". I noticed the the angle of attack on both of the shots had more downward hit which should make for a greater inside out hit causing the over draw.

Here are some videos from this afternoon:

P1050945 - YouTube

P1050946 - YouTube

P1050947 - YouTube

P1050948 - YouTube

All I was concentrating on during these shots was 1) on plane takeaway/ early wrist cock/ lifting of the club; and 2) low left shoulder on takeaway and low right on downswing.

Things you can't see on the video: all the weight is towards my toes on my left foot during follow thru.

Things that surprised me (and am worried about): 1) my left arm is parallel to my shoulders at top of backswing. Seems logical that I am having trouble coming from the inside. Would you agree the left arm should be more vertical?

What should I work on?

Thanks.

Last edited:
FS data from three of the four shots above. From memory, the FS missed the second shot. The first FS data is classic example of the big miss. Shot 2 in the FS data (Video 3) was as good as I can hit it. Shot 3 in the FS data (Video 4) was a miss-hit.

aaaas4.jpg

67p5y8.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Here are some videos from this afternoon:

P1050945 - YouTube

P1050946 - YouTube

P1050947 - YouTube

P1050948 - YouTube

All I was concentrating on during these shots was 1) on plane takeaway/ early wrist cock/ lifting of the club; and 2) low left shoulder on takeaway and low right on downswing.

Things you can't see on the video: all the weight is towards my toes on my left foot during follow thru.

Things that surprised me (and am worried about): 1) my left arm is parallel to my shoulders at top of backswing. Seems logical that I am having trouble coming from the inside. Would you agree the left arm should be more vertical?

What should I work on?

Thanks.

Arms hang out at address and weight flows to the left toe before backswing ends and hands go to much in. I suspect there's issues with your grip based on the follow through but can't tell. The weight continuing to go out to the left toes is an indicator to be you're trying to block it with your arms extended to not hook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.